partial seizures & low blood pressure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Do those of you that have partials also have drop in your BP when they happen? I normally don't lose consciousness when I have a seizure but I passed out yesterday & as soon as I came to I took my BP & it was very low. Just wonder if it was seizure or vasovagal episode. Probably no way to really know now. Thanks.

That's a good question! I haven't had my BP taken immediately after a seizure. After one of the worst one that I had, I had to go the ER because my blood pressure was low. It turned out that I was very dehydrated, which causes low BP. After I drank some OJ I started to improve. The dehydration may have been related to the seizure (either as a trigger or as a result), but the medication I was on at the time (Zonisamide) also caused dehydration and also affected my appetite (not eating is dehydrating), so it's hard to know what came first.

Thank you for taking time to reply. I try not to make a big deal out of things but I do get puzzled at some of the weird things that happen almost on a daily basis.

I've always had really low BP, but haven't had a seizure of any kind in a while. Last week I was in to see my epileptologist and my BP was 99/59. A month prior to that I had to see my Primary Care doc and my BP was 90/57. They always ask if my BP has always been this low. Idiopathic Hypotension runs in my family.

That must be scary. Do you have Dysautonomia or POTS? Anytime I pass out my BP is low as yours is. When I go to doc my BP is always high & he wants to give me something to treat high BP which I'm afraid to take. Thanks for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom