Partial seizures and work?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jenagade

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've noticed that there are a few people on here who have been unable to stay at work, or do full time hours, because of their seizures but they seem to be people with tc's mostly.

Is there anyone here who gets simple or complex partials but not tc's who hasn't been able to continue working or has to do reduced hours or work from home?

some of my simple partials have been bad enough to make me go home for the day and wish I could take 2-3 days off to recover but usually I am back to work the next day, kind of confused and dazed, but there, at least physically.

That's how it started for me too, luckily my job was only part time but I'm also at uni full time so I ended up having to choose between them after I got out of hospital but when I finish uni I'm going to have to figure out if I'm stable enough to go work full time or work from home contacting

When my seizures returned in 2002 they were pretty much simple/complex partial seizures. I had a lot of trouble holding down a job because once I got work & got over tired or stressed I'd have more complex partials which affected my work.

I had brain surgery in 2011, I've had good seizure control since surgery & now only have the odd aura. I have been working full time since August last year & the auras I do have are usually later in the evening or on weekend when Im at home so they dont affect my life or job like my seizures pre surgery did.

That's good to hear, I've only had seizures for two probably coming up three years and they were well controlled till the end of last year and I can't believe how much my life has now been affected by them

I have partials. Every day is a struggle for me at work. I've reduced my hours slightly but I'm still struggling. I even toyed with the idea of going onto disability but after doing my sums I just can't afford it. I do wonder how much longer I can go on for..

I have partials. Every day is a struggle for me at work. I've reduced my hours slightly but I'm still struggling. I even toyed with the idea of going onto disability but after doing my sums I just can't afford it. I do wonder how much longer I can go on for..
I really feel for you i know how much of a struggle it can be especially if things are getting progressively worse. I'm lucky my partner earns just enough to support us but even then I still have to be at uni full time including summer school so that we have the little but extra from my student loan.

I hope you can find something that can work for your situation. If you have ever done software testing, crowd source testing can get you a but of extra money, more of a supplement rather than a reliable income.

There are sites like uTest I can't remember any others but they will get you to do a short test case, like find 2 bugs and run a scenario then you pretty much trawl for projects and sign up for any which are applicable. There are heaps more sites just Google crowd sourced testing there's quite a few but it is competitive but don't let that out you off

Thanks Jena, I'll look into that website. I was given my final written warning from work a few weeks ago. I'm not bitter about it though as my work has been pretty understanding about me being ill a lot and have helped me as much as they can. It's just that when you apply for benefits, there's such a long waiting time to be given them- I think disability can be up to a year! I'm going to save as much as I can just in case.

Thanks Jena, I'll look into that website. I was given my final written warning from work a few weeks ago. I'm not bitter about it though as my work has been pretty understanding about me being ill a lot and have helped me as much as they can. It's just that when you apply for benefits, there's such a long waiting time to be given them- I think disability can be up to a year! I'm going to save as much as I can just in case.

Isn't this illegal? It's your epilepsy causing this

EXCELLENT record keeping can speed up the process. My DIL was only 24 when she was approved for disability for a little known illness. She had copies of all medical tests, including doctors notes, bills and receipts, etc. Not only was she approved on her first try with no lawyer, she was given advanced benefits for up to 6 months I think, while her case went through the process of beginning approved or not approved because her case was so overwhelmingly apparent. If I remember correctly, advanced payments are not required to be repaid if a case is turned down. Her case was approved in less than 3 months. This may be unusual but record keeping is key.

My son and DIL drive me crazy with their obsessive record keeping.

It is covered under the Disability Discrimination Act. What my employer has done is 'allowed' me 20 days or 3 instances of illness in a year. Yeah, like I can manage that!

Angelita14, it takes about 3 months to start getting ESA and Housing + Council Tax.

Then you're assessed by Atos which can take a few months more after that, but at least you're getting some benefit while you wait.

I'm currently waiting for my 2nd round of assessment, but I'm getting £72 a week ESA so far.

Housing + Council Tax benefit is about 2/3 of what you have to pay, if you have no other income/savings.

If you apply for PIP as well as ESA, that should finally top it up well past £100 pw.

Last edited:
Thanks Slim. I'm waiting for the ESA & PIP forms to come through. I wasn't going to return to work as I've been so ill but I decided last week to just apply for PIP and perhaps cut my hours down even further. I'm only 43 so I just can't imagine not working ever again. I think the novelty would wear off really quickly. I'm just a bit torn on what to do for the best. I appreciate everyone's help and sorry for hijacking your thread Jena. MAB, I have got some records of hospital stays and my GP is pretty good at writing letters. My Neuro isn't the best though so I'm not relying on him too much tbh. It pays to be a good record keeper in the long run though :)

Last edited:
Yeah, the 'novelty' does wear off fast, but you're allowed to do 20 hours pw voluntary work that can help keep you sane.

My advice would be to apply for disability ESA and PIP as fast as possible, then if you decide that your condition does allow you to do some part time work in the future, let them know and they'll change your benefit from disability to income support.

I'm early 40s too and I don't know if this is it now, for ever. I'm just going to wait and see. I'll possibly go down that route and do some IT contracting from home if my condition stabilises a bit.

Good record keeping is a must :)

Thanks Slim. I'm waiting for the ESA & PIP forms to come through. I wasn't going to return to work as I've been so ill but I decided last week to just apply for PIP and perhaps cut my hours down even further. I'm only 43 so I just can't imagine not working ever again. I think the novelty would wear off really quickly. I'm just a bit torn on what to do for the best. I appreciate everyone's help and sorry for hijacking your thread Jena. MAB, I have got some records of hospital stays and my GP is pretty good at writing letters. My Neuro isn't the best though so I'm not relying on him too much tbh. It pays to be a good record keeper in the long run though :)

It's totally fine, its a tough thing to sort the details on and there is so much to arrange. I'm going to share my story to unemployment lol its a bit of a TLDR so I will understand if you want to skip over it lol!

I was working full time at a place I had been at for 4 years when I was diagnosed and they were completely supportive of everything, they knew what was going on, they knew what to do and they knew that sometimes I needed to go home if my seizures got too bad, and that only lasted about 3 months because I was put on Tegretol and it was like a wonder drug, so everything was under control and I never had to think about what would happen if I couldn't work.

Then I moved to a new job at a big company, like worldwide big, so you can imagine despite the HR buzz words they threw around the employees were just a number to them. But the Teg was still doing its job so everything was fine, until I developed a tolerance to it, and everything has been going downhill since then.

My company had me on warning for taking too many sick days, while at the same time saying I had to go home if I had a seizure because of health and safety blah blah blah. So I eventually told them to shove it, got a part time job and went back to uni. The new job was with a very small company with people I had known for a while, so they were very accommodating BUT because it was such a small company I was always run off my feet trying to do three things at once.

Meanwhile my neuro had increased the dose of Teg and I shot up from the low end of the theraputic range to the top end and I started getting a raft of side effects - headaches, anemia, dizziness, nausea, muscle spasms, speech problems etc. basically you could look at a list of side effects of Tegretol and most of them I experienced, yet my neurologist wasn't convinced, despite nothing else having been changed. So this was the first time I started thinking well what if I can't work, what would happen, but I put it in the "future Jenna can deal with it" pile.

So this is coming in to my second semester at uni, I'm balls to the wall with assignments and trying to manage a software development project on part time hours. My neuro was swapping me to Lamictal over the span of about 3 months, so while I was coming off the Tegratol obviously things got a lot worse, seizures came back etc, which I expected but the side effects started going away which was good. By this stage it was really hard to be juggling things, I was either missing classes or missing work because I was too exhausted to do both so I had to start thinking about leaving work but it just wasn't financially viable.

Then at the stage that I was off the Tegratol and I was up to the full theraputic dose of Lamictal, things hadn't gotten better seizure wise, they had gotten worse, and eventually my fiancé dragged me kicking and screaming to the hospital because I was in denial of how bad things had really gotten, and even then it wasn't until I had multiple seizures in an hour and they moved me to the high dependency unit for 24 hour monitoring that I finally had to bite the bullet and choose whether to leave work or uni. After a long discussion and working out that overall it was better for me to stay at uni because I had better control over the stress levels and didn't anyone else relying on me to get work done.

That brings us to now, so its been three months since that happened and it has been really hard. We had to make some huge cut backs to make up for the lost income, my fiancé got a small pay rise which helped a bit. But every time we get really down to the wire with money I get wracked with guilt for putting us in this situation, especially if I am having a good day. Most of the time I also think I'm fine, I could go work, I'm totally ok. Then I realise that on most days if I'm not having seizures, I am recovering from the after effects, which often include migrane-like headaches so I would be absolutely useless trying to work. Thats why I have started doing crowd source testing because I can pick and choose what I want to do and even though its not much, I can get a little bit of extra money for us.

Phew, so thats the big rant. It is by no means getting any easier and I am dreading my upcoming video EEG because I have heard it doesn't necessarily always show up partial seizures and if it doesn't then we are still in the dark about where to go next.

My TC's have been few and far between the past couple months, and any seizure I've had has pretty much been just partials. Since I have returned to work, I was placed into a part time position (24 hours) but that really hasn't helped. They send me home whenever I have partials or petit mals now.

The b**ch of it is that I don't qualify to go back out on short term disability, I'm not eligible for long term disability, and I'm walking on thin ice due to attendance. I'm really hesitant about applying for SSDI because of how long it takes, and with the way my epilepsy works, I highly doubt it would be worth it.

I hide my minor seizures and still work and will need to keep this up for about 10 more years until I can retire. Only me and my wife know. My big ones are under control.

Back
Top Bottom