Passion flower Skullcap Combo

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Did anyone tried this combo for myoclonic jerks, if so what was your dosage in liquid drops and how many times a day?

I find it wierd that it's only sujjested for dogs and not humans wheres people used to treat seizures with it long before pharmecuticals companies even existed.

I read couple of Trials on NCBI and it looks that both passion flower and skullcap had positive effects on seizures when the latest actually stopped tonic clonic seizures in rats that drank water filled with the ingridient unlike the other group of rats which only drank tap water.

p.s=Tired of my keppra literally :p and got a nerve pain that doesn't go away, but did dissapear once I stopped taking the med right on the next day, I ordered these two liquidized herbs and hope to achive some kind of controll over my seizures without the keppra so any info would be appriciated, by the way ,if you have only negative info please don't tell me because psychologically I can minimize the effect only by thinking badly about the herbs :p

Thanks!

I"ve tried both but had no success with either though I don't remember trying them at the same time. I"d be curious to see those studies though. I couldn't find them on NCBI

Do be careful with skullcap though.

USDA expresses skullcap supplement concerns with new analytical method

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15478209 this is a 2004 trial about skullcap in rats

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22107833 this is a new 2012 trial about passion flower which reduced both seizures and post ictal depression

Last edited:
Thanks, that's pretty cool but so far it's only in rats so it's very preliminary.

They also left out a lot of details in both reports like how many mice were used. The fewer used the less accurate the results are likely to be and they usually do mention those numbers unless they're very small.

I've done a lot of reading on herbal ways to control epilepsy & tried most the ones I've seen with no good results. When I started looking at scientific studies everything I've found was very preliminary. I did find this interesting though because it has other herbs that were suggested for epilepsy & you can click on them to find out what research was done on them by NYU. Look towards the bottom of the page under "Other Proposed Treatments for Epilepsy Herbs and Supplements"

http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=38390#Avoid

Thanks, that's pretty cool but so far it's only in rats so it's very preliminary.

They also left out a lot of details in both reports like how many mice were used. The fewer used the less accurate the results are likely to be and they usually do mention those numbers unless they're very small.

I've done a lot of reading on herbal ways to control epilepsy & tried most the ones I've seen with no good results. When I started looking at scientific studies everything I've found was very preliminary. I did find this interesting though because it has other herbs that were suggested for epilepsy & you can click on them to find out what research was done on them by NYU. Look towards the bottom of the page under "Other Proposed Treatments for Epilepsy Herbs and Supplements"

http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=38390#Avoid

Tnx for the site, and about the fact It din't help you, maybe you din't take enought or it just din't work for just like out of 3 meds only keppra reduced my myoclonic jerk that was happening like once a day 2 at most.

I think for some it might work just like any AED out there.

Tnx for the site, and about the fact It din't help you, maybe you din't take enought or it just din't work for just like out of 3 meds only keppra reduced my myoclonic jerk that was happening like once a day 2 at most.

Those are all very possible. I did find that Valerian was great for insomnia though. It had a very mild effect on the seizures though so little I'm not even sure it was the valerian.

Something else that is supposed to work for epilepsy but didn't for me & I"ve found nothing in the science studies confirming it works is Black Cohosh.

One OTC herb-derived supplement I tried was Vinpocetine (it's synthesized from an extract from the periwinkle plant). There were some preliminary studies suggesting it might help with seizure control (as well as other brain and cardiovascular issues), but it didn't help me. I don't whether this was due to the quality of the supplement or other factors. More info here about its applications and various clinical results: http://priory.com/focus15.htm

thank you guys for the info, really appriciate it,

btw nakamova, I took lamictal and it never helped only worsened my seizures, I wish I be diffrent when it would come to the herbs and it would actually work for a change.

Back
Top Bottom