PCOS, complex & simple partial seizures & Keppra?!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aggy84

New
Reaction score
Hi there!

I feel this forum has accompanied me on my epilepsy discovery journey! I was suffering with complex and simple partial seizures for the last 6 years. I had no idea of this and figured it was generalized anxiety. I was finally fed up and demanded I was sent to a neurologist - he sent me for tests and the rest is history. I started my medication in mid-june time and was put on 500mg of Keppra twice a day, I had a few random seizures but nothing like before so the GP upped the dose to 750mg twice a day.
I am still having seizures, admittedly they are no way as intense as before, but they're still there. I dont have them every other day like I once was they are about once a month, or if I've been busy, tired or stressed every other week.
After I have them I feel so disheartened that I have had one, and often still feel like I'm the one causing it. does that sound daft? I'm 28 years of age now, I want to live. I have been sooo much happier in life, but I'm left after a seizure feeling, lost, trained and with a headache. Is Keppra the best one for me? I have a review with my neurologist on the 5th October, so I want to get my options in place.
Two details I need to bring up is that I have PCOS - my periods have never been in line, and often go for months without one. I don't know if I have been more liable to have a seizure when I have just come off my period (as this what seems to happen - plus I have skin breakouts). I also need to add that when I went for my scans they picked up something else, my ventricles in the brain are oversized with fluid. They think the tube at the back of the brain near the spinal cord is damaged. Do you reckon I'm only having some seizures because this isn't fixed yet?

I need help from those who suffer as well, no one in my family does so its hard for them to grasp what goes on. I think to some extent I am anxious but no way like I used to be.

I only have partial seizures nothing else.

Please xx:ponder:

aggy84

After a seizure feeling drained and headache is partly how I feel. I cannot say much as to whether you are on the right medication, this is between you and your neuro. Being disheartened is really to be expected from my point of view and no you did not bring them on yourself. I cannot answer the question about the tube at near the spinal cord as I do not know. Some of the lady's here will be better able to answer your other questions. As for the keppra that really is a matter for you and your doc. You might want to start a diary so you can keep a record of when you have your seizures, length of time or how long you think it lasted. Also so you can write down anything which you think is effecting your seizures.

I have PCOS and im taking Keppra XR 3000mgs a day.

Are you taking any prescription medication for the PCOS? I was diagnosted with PCOS when I was 18 years old. My periods were not regular at all, and the longest Ive gone with no period was 18 months. I see a dr that specializes in this area, and was put on Glucophage XR. I take 1500mgs before my evening meal and my periods have since been regular. I also was put on the birth control pill, due to acne break outs. Its helped out alot.

There's a connection between PCOS an epilepsy, but it's not well-understood. See http://www.epilepsy.com/info/women_pcos Given the roles that hormones can play in brain chemistry, it makes sense that PCOS may be correlated, or play a role as a primary or secondary trigger because of the hormone fluctuations. The article at the link mentions that certain anti-seizure meds (Depakote) are associated with PCOS, and other anti-seizure meds (Tegretol, Dilantin, and Lamictal) seem to reverse it. I don't know what Keppra's track record is, but you should definitely discuss whether it's worth making a med switch with your neuro and/or OB/GYN. The skin break-outs are a symptom of PCOS, and probably related to that (though some anti-seizure meds can cause that too).

Hydrocephalus (excess fluid in the ventricles of the brain) can cause seizures, though usually when it's more advanced: These are hydrocephalus symptoms in adults:
headache, nausea, vomiting and, sometimes, blurred vision. There may be problems with balance, delayed development in walking or talking, and poor coordination. Irritability, fatigue, seizures, and personality changes such as an inability to concentrate or remember things may also develop. Drowsiness and double vision are common symptoms as hydrocephalus progresses.

If your docs think the fluid build-up is excessive or progressing, then they recommend surgery to install a shunt to drain the fluid. Have they brought up this possibility with you?

Back
Top Bottom