People laugh their friend's Tourretes, make fun of Stranger's Seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

niceguyVZ

New
Reaction score
I saw documentary in MTV made about girl with Tourretes and she was falling and kind of fainting. She use to joke around with it and her friends too. I guess that helped her feel better about it and cope.

But her friends now just laugh and take it as a joke with her. But will they laugh when they see strangers having seizures. ?

Of course here i talked about the MADE show but in general, in real life, do people who joke about their friend's epilepsy or tourettes because that person accepts it, do they also make fun and joke about strangers' epilepsy and seizures and TICS?

I dont think it's funny. when i have my things it's painful. I would not think it's funny. But i'm sure some people are laughing at me.

Who's laughing at you? I'll knock em out :)

Last edited:
If you laugh at someone who has tourrettes or who has a seizure your not much of a person.

It's not funny and they wouldn't think it was funny if they had the problem.

I've had it out with people before who have laughed at me when I have had a seizure.

Of course here i talked about the MADE show but in general, in real life, do people who joke about their friend's epilepsy or tourettes because that person accepts it, do they also make fun and joke about strangers' epilepsy and seizures and TICS?

My friends, family and I have a very sarcastic sense of humor. Humor is how we cope and help take ease of the situation (it is also a large reason we are friends, and are so close). So with certain situations (my own, or my aunts own) we will make a joke.

But on the other side, we are all very aware and proactive on Epilepsy (and other neurological disorders) facts and information. We also are aware that not every person has our sense of humor or our view on our illnesses, so do not direct our humor to other people.

However we also understand that other people do not have our same view on our illnesses, or understand our humor, and hope that they will respect our choice to view and to cope with our symptoms in our own way.

PS We also do not joke in the moment during a seizure, i.e during my aunts TC or during my CP; it is more after the fact.

If it's a friend and they have no problem that's different.

I mean ppl who joke about ppl they don't know and they think it's hilarious.

That type of person isn't much of a person.

Belinda:agree:

I like my seizure to be something I can joke about and I allow my friends to joke around as well. For me, it is a coping mechanism. If a stranger was to joke, it'd make me a little uncomfortable. Also, I would never laugh at someone else's disorder, whether it be E, tourrettes, or anything. You never know what they are going through.

I like to laugh at epilepsy. Do I laugh at someone who has epilepsy? No.

Back
Top Bottom