Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Your pharmacist is the least expensive and most accessible health resource you have. They fill prescriptions and provide expert information about medications —a very important role considering the prominent use of seizure medications to treat epilepsy.

While it might seem easier to forge a personal relationship with one pharmacist at a small mom-and-pop pill dispensary, smart patients can and do establish great relationships with superstore pharmacists too.

You can see the pharmacist anytime you want, without an appointment and all consultations are free. In medicine, that’s extraordinary.

Plus, they have an amazing wealth of knowledge at their fingertips, which means at your fingertips. Many pharmacists also have access to new technology that can answer questions such as, “Is it safe to take this brand-new medication with this even newer medication?”

What’s more, they get a soldier’s view of patients with similar conditions, using different medications every day. They see who improves and who complains about side effects.

Plus, pharmacists can be helpful in discussing the potential adverse effects of medications, their costs, the relative risks and benefits of generic versus brand-name medications and potential interactions.

The “Four Cs” of pharmacy visits:

One way to keep your epilepsy treatment on track is to stick to the treatment plan you and your doctor agreed upon. Check your prescription every time you pick it up at the pharmacy and think of “The Four Cs” …

1.Compare the new pill bottle label with the label on your last prescription.
2.Check that the pills look exactly the same (size, shape, color, and imprint).
3.Confirm with the pharmacist (if anything looks different) that he or she is aware of any change and has discussed it with your doctor.
4.Contact your doctor (or have your pharmacist call him or her) if your doctor did not request a change to your prescription.

And, as extra insurance, you can bring this letter from the EFA:

Dear Pharmacist:

Thank you for providing me with the valuable service of filling my needed prescriptions. The purpose of this letter is to let you know that I have epilepsy and it is vital that I receive the same medication from the same manufacturer monthly in order to maintain the expected level of seizure control and side effects. Please ensure that no changes are made to my medications, including a change in manufacturer, without prior consent from my physician and myself. Please note this request in my file. To assist you, I have listed below the name, manufacturer and dosage of the medications I am currently taking.

To download and print the entire form, click on: http://www.nomoreseizures.org/pdfs/pharma_letter.pdf

Manage your prescriptions

Don’t forget to write down the names of all of your medicines and supplements, along with the dosage and who makes it. (I keep a copy on file, update it when necessary and then just make copies to bring with me.) Take this list with you to any doctor’s appointments and trips to the pharmacy.

Talk to your pharmacist about each medicine you’re picking up, why it is prescribed and how you should take it. And build a relationship with your pharmacist just as you do with your doctor. Say “Yes” the next time you are asked if you want to talk to the pharmacist.

As Kristin Weitzel, PharmD, CDE, Assistant Editor for Pharmacist’s Letter says: “The key for health professionals is to focus on the needs of the patient. Pharmacists are in an ideal position to help epilepsy patients by using their clinical judgment…”

Resources:

http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/11-secrets-of-great-doctors–/article179524-3.html?page=3
http://my.epilepsy.com/node/336
http://www.epilepsyadvocate.com/about-epilepsy/treatment.aspx#quest2
http://www.nomoreseizures.com/pdfs/pharma_letter.pdf
http://www.pharmacistsletter.com/(S...D=20070628-AEDS&ReturnLink=s=ND&Archive=False
https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/handle/1811/32132

Thanks, Phyllis!

Oh, yeah. I LOVE my pharmacist! She takes extra special care of me.

She knows how I react to certain kinds of drugs, and when filling something in the same class she sometimes calls my doc with a better suggestion, based on either my reactions or how it mixes with what I'm already on. She also calls me when the generic is going to change. Once she caught a mistake that the urgent care doc made that could have killed me - way too high a dose was prescribed.

When I have a reaction between a prescription med and an over the counter one I tell her about it, and I always clear new over the counter meds with her first. Twice she's steered me away from things that would have been a problem for me, based on past reactions to similar meds. (for example topamax and sudafed made me feel like I had a giant bumblebee buzzing around in my head - it was quite awful. Caffeine has a similar but not quite as bad effect.)

She has a list of my vitamins and supplements. When a med has to be taken separate from them or if they don't mix, she makes sure she tells me.

When I was particulary dull-headed from the meds and was getting confused a lot, she helped me work out a schedule of which meds, vitamins, and supplements to take at what time of day. Because I take a handful of junk and it's getting mighty confusing.

When I tell my doc about AED side effects and he says, "no, it wouldn't do that" I check with my pharmacist. She usually says, "oh, yes, it could!" Example would be feeling like I'd been hit by a truck with Trileptal (sore muscles, exhausted). She suggested I ask my doctor if we could scale the dosage back for just a month or two, then try going back up. It might fix the problem. Yep, it did.

My most recent favorite thing was I was telling her my D was low since staring Trileptal, and she suggested that I tell my dentist ASAP. It was time for a cleaning anyway, and when I told my dentist that I had switched meds and my D was low, he prescribed special toothpaste to help keep my teeth intact.

Hooray for my pharmacist!

Last edited:
I thought CWE was the least expensive and most accessible health resource around!

(Just kidding -- many pharmacists are the bees knees when it comes to medical advice...)

I used to have a great pharmacist that would even deliver my meds, but when we moved back to Denver....... well now this national pharmacy SUCKS!

I found mine kinda by accident. It's the local neighborhood pharmacy. I've been going there about 20 years, and I built up a relationship with my pharmacist over time. I think better luck would be had with a small pharmacy than a big corporate pharmacy that has employees that come and go every year. I get my 1-time prescriptions at that local pharmacy, as well as my AED's. Everything else I get through my insurance company's mail-order pharmacy. I've never even met them, let alone have them go above and beyond for me.

It makes me nervous, too. I only get stuff there I've been on a long time, and have no problems with. The only reason I use them at all is because I save around $550-$750 a year by getting my long-term drugs there that are refilled every month.

I don't trust them with my AED's.

Makes sense to me. I go to a Walgreen's 3 miles away and they know me so well, they check the "J" prescriptions box as soon as they see me coming. (Hmmmm. That's sort of a sad commentary, in a way.)

UPDATE: I just went to phone in my refills (at Walgreens) today and not only was I informed that a generic was now available for one of my thyroid drugs, I was TOLD that they would check the acceptibility of the generic with my “health care provider” before filling the prescription.

You could have knocked me over with a feather!

Back
Top Bottom