phenobarbital withdrawal symptoms

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MaryK

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi my name is MaryK...I posted a bit about me when registering.
I have had seizures since I was at least 19 when I had a major seizure and was put on phenobarb and dilantin.. Over the years I have had no major grand mal seiziures, but have had numerous complex type seizures, depending on the time of the month...time of the year, etc. I also have abdominal seizures if I am very tired. I have been trying to reduce my phenobarb by 15 mg a day (on 120) and was doing good up until a week ago. ( my phenobarb level was 41)..I seem to be having a few break-through seizures, although I am not positive. My lower jaw will twitch a couple or times, or my eyelids close abruptly...but fully conscious. Of course there is some concern.

I also have rheumatoid arthritis and sjogrens and thyroid issues...Basically, an autoimmune mess. I need to go and take the flashing smiles off.

Any ideas or comments? Thank you.

MaryK

Have you been tapering off your pheno under a doc's supervision? Because going off it yourself can be pretty dangerous.

"The symptoms of phenobarbital withdrawal can be severe and may cause death. Minor withdrawal symptoms may appear 8 to 12 hours after the last dose of phenobarbital.

These symptoms usually appear in the following order: anxiety, muscle twitching, tremor of hands and fingers, progressive weakness, dizziness, distortion in visual perception, nausea, vomiting, insomnia, and orthostatic hypotension.

Major withdrawal symptoms (convulsions and delirium) may occur within 16 hours and last up to 5 days after abrupt cessation of this drug. Intensity of withdrawal symptoms gradually declines over a period of approximately 15 days." http://www.rxlist.com/phenobarbital-drug.htm

Take it slow tapering, Barbs or Benzos... I tapered Klonopin too fast once and it was difficult... you will be ok, just take it slow. Listen to your body.
Billy.

Back
Top Bottom