Phenytoin can cause bone loss.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Belinda5000

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I was in a doctor's office reading a magazine read phenytoin cause bone loss.
I talked to my neuro and I ask him and he said yes. :e:
I took Dilantin for 32 years so I want be tested I told him. :bigmouth:
So next month when I see him where going to talk about me having a bone density test.:ponder:

Belinda

That sounds like a good plan Belinda.
I shake my head that you had to read this in a magazine article, and not learn this directly from him.

It's a well known long term adverse effect of Dilantin. Having a bone density test periodically is a good idea for those taking it.

Adding a good source of calcium to the diet (not milk) is also important.

Yes, it's true

I was on it for 37 years.

So far, I'm OK, miraculously. But, I was taking Vitamin D, too, so that helped......but I do have quite a bit of bone pain........so it will be time for a new test for me soon, too, I think.

Robin,
I do have the worst luck in breaking bones.
I've broken,my jaw,nose,collar bones foot.
Belinda

Back
Top Bottom