Phenytoin with different manufactures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RC.

New
Reaction score
Someone may just be able to direct me to an accurate link.

Any change (as to the effects) in the medicine Phenytoin with different manufactures?

&

Any problems with Lamictal and Zonegran being taking together?

There aren't any known interactions with Lamictal and Zonegran. The website to bookmark for interactions is below:

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/lamictal-with-zonegran-1430-848-2334-1545.html

As for variations between bioavailability (i.e. amount of the active ingredient) of Phenytoin, I don't think there is a listing for every manufacturer, especially because the same manufacturer can have batches that vary from one to the next. The brand (Dilantin) is considered more reliable because the active ingredient is more consistent.

That said, I was on the generic form of Dilantin with no problems. If you're sensitive to variations in dosage then the brand may be a better bet.

No data available at my finger tips, but phenytoin is widely considered the most unreliable generic of the AEDs. Phenytoin is a very old drug and many manufacturers can make it. It is the consistency that is the issue.

Our own bodies vary the effectiveness of phenytoin enough, without adding any outside variant. My Neuro is OK with generic Keppra and Lamictal, but never phenytoin.

There is an alternative to the brand name DILANTIN made by Pfizer. I take the brand name PHENYTEK made by Mylan Bertek. I was on Dilantin for 22 years and have been on the Phenytek for the last 6 years.

If you have no choice but the generic, please make sure that they give you the very same one each time. Jumping around between generics is very risky.

thank you for replys.

I would like try Lamictal. Any Idea on price of it and how often a blood test is needed?
With Phenytoin I'm 180pills $55 & blood work $100. --All about-- and like every 28 days..

The price for Lamictal depends on your insurance plan. (Under my plan, it costs my co-pay which is $50.00 a month). If you don't have drug coverage Lamictal can be pricey -- it's one of those meds that has had extraordinary price raises over the last few years. The company that makes it (GlaxoSmithKline) is trying to milk it for all they can get.

In terms of blood work, it's not required once your levels have been set, unless you have pre-existing kidney or liver disease.

thank you for replys.

I would like try Lamictal. Any Idea on price of it and how often a blood test is needed?
With Phenytoin I'm 180pills $55 & blood work $100. --All about-- and like every 28 days..

I don't need to take any bloodwork for my Lamictal, just my Phenytek like you. I am OK with generic Lamictal, so mine is fairly cheap with my insurance.

I'm taking

75 mg of Lamictal in the morning and the evening. The sheet that I get with my bottle every month says that 180 of the 25 mg pills (which is what I have to get) is a regular retail price of $1171. give or take a few pennies.....

Pharmacy bills the insurance $789, my co-pay is $40.

That sounds about right -- over $1000 per month's supply of Lamictal. Incredible that they can charge that.

WELL.... I do not think I will be getting that anytime soon...

Last edited:
generic lamictal---- I called my local pharmacy, 30 pills @ 200mg --- $23.00

With my insurance they charge the same co-pay whether I use the brand or the generic, so I've just stuck with the brand. But if the generic works for you, that's great!

75 mg of Lamictal in the morning and the evening. The sheet that I get with my bottle every month says that 180 of the 25 mg pills (which is what I have to get) is a regular retail price of $1171. give or take a few pennies.....

Pharmacy bills the insurance $789, my co-pay is $40.

Wowzers! well I'm on lamotrigine (generic Lamictal) and it costs me 67.00 for 240 25mg pills so about 28 cents a pill. They havent put me on the larger size ones until my next refill. But I talked to my pharmacist and 240 25mg Lamitcal is only double the price which is about .56 a pill so about $134.00 and my insurance will cover it all. He says its actually a better deal once I go up to the 100mg size. Cant remember what he said though.

I feel so bad for you Meetz! your "paying" like 6.50 a pill! for the small ones!

it costs me 67.00 for 240 25mg pills so about 28 cents a pill. They havent put me on the larger size ones until my next refill. But I talked to my pharmacist and 240 25mg Lamitcal is only double the price
Ummmm....... double the price for the same amount & dosage??

lol
its okay. I realized the way I typed that looks a little confusing too. :)

You need new glasses, I need a new brain. or we can combine and make an Uber-Human.. whadda say? lol :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom