Photosensitive Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi guys!

My story is kind of boring, so i apologise in advance!

Well, I was diagnosed with Epilepsy in 2004. Even though I had a normal EEG, I was diagnosed with Photosensitive Epilepsy as I only ever had a seizure whilst in front of a CRT screen (aka an old style TV or Monitor with a refresh rate of under 60hz). I've not been on any medication, and I've not had a seizure since 2005 (I haven't looked at a CRT monitor since 2005 either).

Does this mean I definitely don't have 'normal' epilepsy? I.e, am I only photosensitive? Should I be worried for the future, i.e, could I get a seizure randomly? I ask because I'm now training to be a pilot since it's been 5 years seizure free with no medication. I was confused that I had a normal EEG and yet still diagnosed as Photosensitive, given that's supposed to be the 'be all and end all PSE test'.

Any help from anyone out there would be really appreciated!
:ponder:

According to a book I just read on epilepsy, if you have even one seizure, you cannot be a pilot...as in e-v-e-r...

Maybe somebody else here knows different? But that's what I read...

According to a book I just read on epilepsy, if you have even one seizure, you cannot be a pilot...as in e-v-e-r...

Maybe somebody else here knows different? But that's what I read...

Ah, I already went through that battle - the rules for being a pilot here, under the licence I applied for, are 5 years seizure free no medication. I went through the medical and passed... my concern is more of my own paranoia / wondering whether or not I could have a spontaneous seizure? At the time it was very poorly explained to me, and I was very young - and battling to see a neurologist in the UK when you technically aren't currently suffering is very hard indeed!

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't know the rules were different there.

I would think anything is possible though, especially so if you've had seizures in the past? I would definitely avoid things that could lower your seizure threshold, such as antihistamines.

That's exactly what I was wondering myself. I've only had a very specific trigger in the past, which is a CRT monitor (like an old style computer monitor, the big bulky ones) and that's honestly it. I had a normal EEG but, as the neurologist said at the time, the fact is that through all of my three seizures I was always in front of the computer, and always had the aura induced by the refresh rate.

I believe at the time he said I would outgrow it - I have no idea if I have, because I've avoided strobe lights and CRT screens like the plague for the past 6 years, and been totally seizure free! Not sure why I've suddenly started to worry like this, I think its because I've never heard of anyone who's JUST had seizures triggered by photosensitivity and nothing else... is this normal / am I normal?

Well it is true that having had at least one seizure, you are at a greater risk for having more than someone who has never had a seizure at all. That said, 5 years seizure-free is a great sign. And seizure disorders provoked by specific modes of activation (in your case, CRT monitors) have the highest probability of spontaneous remission. Studies have found that the probability of being in remission (at least 5 consecutive years seizure-free, and continuing) at 20 years after diagnosis was 70 - 85%.
It may be hard to shake the anxiety, but I say relax and enjoy things if you can, and congrats on being a pilot!

Well it is true that having had at least one seizure, you are at a greater risk for having more than someone who has never had a seizure at all. That said, 5 years seizure-free is a great sign. And seizure disorders provoked by specific modes of activation (in your case, CRT monitors) have the highest probability of spontaneous remission. Studies have found that the probability of being in remission (at least 5 consecutive years seizure-free, and continuing) at 20 years after diagnosis was 70 - 85%.
It may be hard to shake the anxiety, but I say relax and enjoy things if you can, and congrats on being a pilot!

This is great to hear, thanks! A question: what do you mean by spontaneous remission? Thanks :)

Spontaneous remission means that your seizures go away on their own, for no apparent reason.

Does this mean I definitely don't have 'normal' epilepsy? I.e, am I only photosensitive? Should I be worried for the future, i.e, could I get a seizure randomly? I ask because I'm now training to be a pilot since it's been 5 years seizure free with no medication. I was confused that I had a normal EEG and yet still diagnosed as Photosensitive, given that's supposed to be the 'be all and end all PSE test'. :ponder:

Hello, and welcome!

Anything can be a seizure trigger, and it looks like you've found only one for you, AND you've been seizure free for 5 years. Congrats on the 5-year mark. That's HUGE.

Will you have another random seizure? About 1% of all the people out there will have a seizure in their lifetime. Some of the most recent research has suggested that is actually 1 in 24. So if you had never had a seizure at all, there is still a chance of having one. After being seizure free for 5 years, according to the Epilpesy Patient and Family Guide, you have a 1.5% chance of having another seizure. That's a 50% greater chance, but when we're talking about a half a percent total, that's not much.

I understand why you are worried, though. There are a couple of particular frequencies that give me problems. They can happen when sunlight flashes through trees, with a ceiling fan, or a flickering candle. Those things don't always cause a problem for me, only when they are at a certain speed.

What are the odds of running into something at the same frequency as your old CRT, if you haven't run into it in the last five years? And then factor in the odds that you'd react after being seizure free for five years.

Last edited:
Does AED'S sepused to stop your photosensetivity???.i can pass the photic stimulation exam with just 250mg of keppra in my body but sun flashing through the trees can make me scared which makes me open my eyes (usually fast flashing lights or fences ,slow flashes between trees or with low contrast barely even bother me)...do you know if i can get driver license even tho im sensetive only to certain patterns and din't get a seizure from them since being on meds only fear that makes me open my eyes or else (electric feeling)???

clear internet provider

So, I am wondering if any of my fellow friends on this site have an issue with Clear of any other provider and there equipment having flashing lights that cant be turned off. The only suggestion I get from the company is put a piece of tape over the light. I find this answer unacceptable as well as showing know empathy for those with epilepsy.

Back
Top Bottom