Physical Therapy and Iontophoresis

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am undergoing physical therapy for my feet. I suffer from plantar fasciitis, bunion, and shin splints all related to how I walk. Today was my third session and my PT suggested a treatment called iontophoresis. I know it is a local distribution of medicine at the affected area by means of an electrical shock. I think Wikipedia (though not always a reliable source) had the most simplistic definition of the treatment for those of you who don't know what it is:

Iontophoresis is a non-invasive method of propelling high concentrations of a charged substance, normally medication or bioactive agents, transdermally by repulsive electromotive force using a small electrical charge applied to an iontophoretic chamber containing a similarly charged active agent and its vehicle. To clarify, one or two chambers are filled with a solution containing an active ingredient and its solvent, termed the vehicle. The positively charged chamber, termed the anode will repel a positively charged chemical, while the negatively charged chamber, termed the cathode, will repel a negatively charged chemical into the skin.

My therapist is 95% sure that it would be helpful for me but the other 5% is concerned that it could be a trigger for my E. I must say that I am very impressed and grateful to my therapist for being so in tune with my entire health history and being aware of how her treatment might affect my other medical conditions. I would have never guessed that E might hinder my PT treatment!

She asked if I knew what my triggers are, and I honestly do not, given that my episodes are brief and not usually that noticeable aside from times when I repeat myself when I speak or forgetting short periods of time. I have been feeling great on my Lamictal so I assume that my episodes are well controlled.

I am anxious to find relief for my foot pain. I cannot be on my feet for more than an hour at a time without developing a horrible pain. Going shopping, doing housework, exercising, taking walks, going to the museum, etc... it has been having a huge effect on my life.

What are your opinions?

Back
Top Bottom