Please advice, I'm going to snap

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KelVarQ

New
Reaction score
Hello all and hope you're doing well. I'm about to snap and need advice. One of my friend's on FB...her daughter (6 yrs. old) has seizures & the mother will oftentimes post that her daughter had another seizure. I've seen these posts far too many times & the posts started about a year ago & I've responded to her on the thread of the post, privately and even gave her my phone number (she never called) & have provided her with some direction/information and explained to her that her daughter seriously needs medical attention. She posted again tonight that her daughter had yet another seizure and claims they only happen when she gets sick (I'm assuming febrile seizures as I don't know much about the childhood seizures). But I know of at least 20 seizures (and that's just from her posting so I can imagine how many the child actually has had). Even if the child only gets them when she's sick I can't imagine any doctor saying it's acceptable not to put her on meds...isn't that safe to assume? She still hasn't gone for an EEG, so I have no clue if it's just when the child is sick & obviously she needs to have an EEG and I've told her this repeatedly. I'm sorry for long and drawn out, but I guess my question is...even with childhood seizures (only when sick) after having 3 seizures or so they should put her on something, is that correct? It just doesn't seem right that a doctor would leave them untreated and say...no big deal she needs no meds since they only happen when she's sick. To the best of my knowledge and personal experience seizures, if left untreated, will oftentimes get worse. Advice please before I reply to her with a rip roaring message. I will wait until tomorrow to reply anyway so I can calm down. Oh and in the meantime I even told her about specific diets and gave her the link to this site, but apparently she's not taking this too seriously.

Last edited:
Maybe I will come across harsh in this response, but wake up call is in order. Send some info to this parent on SUDEP.....

http://www.sudep.org/

The child certainly needs to be evaluated by a medical professional (for a EEG as u say and MRI to start). It’s a parent’s duty/responsibility to leave no stone unturned because the child cannot do it themselves…

Have you actually seen the child having a seizure? Are they actual seizures or made up? Maybe this mother is suffering from Munchausen Syndrome by proxy. That is where someone gains attention by making someone else ill, usually a mother and child. I was once reading a book about it while in to see my epileptologist and she told me about another patient of hers was suffering from this by inducing seizures on her child for attention.

Here is more info in case you've never heard of it:
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/factitious_disorders/hic_munchausen_syndrome_by_proxy.aspx

Last edited:
I would say... be careful. You never know the whole story.

I was challenged more than once on the approach I chose to take for my daughters care.

It is not easy being a caregiver. It will never satisfy everyone. We do the best we know how. One approach for all, is not the only path to take.

Have you actually seen the child having a seizure? Are they actual seizures or made up? Maybe this mother is suffering from Munchausen Syndrome by proxy. That is where someone gains attention by making someone else ill, usually a mother and child. I was once reading a book about it while in to see my epileptologist and she told me about another patient of hers was suffering from this by inducing seizures on her child for attention.

Here is more info in case you've never heard of it:
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/factitious_disorders/hic_munchausen_syndrome_by_proxy.aspx

I really can't stand Face Book in general. Almost everyone on there has to tell the world everything that is going on with them practialy down to what color underware they have on.

Most people put things on there that are going to bring the most attionation to them so everyone can feel really happy or really sad for them.

If I do something that's exciting my friends and family don't understand why I didn't post it on there. I just tell them that the people that I want to know about it I've told, I don't care if the whole world knows!

The only reason I'm on it is so I can send messages to my friends because it seem no one uses their email any more, everything is done of Face Book.

Back
Top Bottom