PNES or Generalized Tonic Clonic seizures? A lot of questions...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am having trouble understanding why my providers are so quick to assume that my seizures are PNES. Granted they've never seen one, at least not the ones treating me. A couple of nurses and a resident in the ER saw me, but they assumed I was on drugs...

So, is it possible to have stress as your 'trigger' with out it being PNES?

Is it possible to have a "normal" EEG but still have epilepsy?

Is it possible to have a textbook tonic clonic, and it be PNES?

Would a seizure cluster be considered A seizure, or 3 seizures?

Might having a seizure in my sleep change anything?

If my father has epilepsy (first seizure in his mid-to-late 20's but has only had *3* seizures in his life) which is more likely? Adult onset generalized tonic clonic or PNES?

What do I do next? I have requested my medical records from the hospital. I have been seeing a GP who has not responded to my most recent attempts to contact him after my most recent seizure.

(lol, Havok, don't kill me I was already drafting this while we were conversing in my other thread. )

The whole PNES versus epileptic seizures is quite the debate. And one that I will never understand how they truly determine it it to be PNES.
How do they determine a non-epileptic seizure when EEGs don't pick up everything when they are frontal or deep within the brain?
There are some determinants for a non-epileptic seizure, like crying during the seizure, thrashing, having your eyes closed, your head going from side to side but even these aren't for sure since some frontal lobe seizures present in unusual ways. They sometimes take note that it's non epileptic if you never injure yourself, never urinate or only bite the tip of your tongue but these aren't for sure either. I know Nakamova had a great list on a recent thread.
-Stress is a trigger for both.
-It is possible to have a normal EEG and still have epilepsy.
-Usually a non-epileptic seizure imitates a tonic clonic but I believe if one occurs during an EEG it usually shows up on the EEG but I'm sure it's possible for it not to too.
-That's a good question about the seizure cluster though. My seizures often pop up in clusters. I usually count them as 1 because it's hard to count them when you're having them. But I wonder if they should be counted separately?
-Seizures in your sleep usually are epileptic from what I understand. Especially if you don't remember them.
-My sister has epilepsy (mostly nocturnal) and my father has had a few seizures in his seventies though which apparently don't mean epilepsy but I'm sure it means his threshold is low.
My sister was diagnosed in her 30's and mine began in my 30's as well. She's been diagnosed officially and they are on the fence for me. My epileptologist thinks they originate in my brain stem but other neurologists wrote me off with PNES.

What next? Hard to say. If you truly feel they are epileptic don't give up. They say that most people with PNES have a traumatic history but sometimes they say it's your body unable to handle stress. People with epilepsy have been told they have both.

All this of course is only from what I have learned in my experience of being diagnosed with PNES a few times and now being treated with Vimpat and having it help.

It is quite a battle. Often neurologists and psychiatrists disagree and you get bounced back and forth. Have you seen a psychiatirst yet? Good luck. Keep us up to date.

Oh hey! That great list that Nakamova wrote that I was referring to was on your last thread about having seizures in your sleep! I found it to be a great list and also saw that she wrote that they were POSSIBLE markers. Seizures come in all shapes and sizes. Just like people. Just like snowflakes. There are never two exactly alike.

Here is the link for Nakamova's post.

Thanks again, sorry for all the repeat questions/posts.

I haven't seen a psych, I have in the past, and often find friends a much better outlet. I do see the value in a quality psych but I don't have the means to see one right now.

Back
Top Bottom