Possible Neurontin withdrawal?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

trapped

New
Reaction score
I'm on Keppra 2,000mg per day for the seizures, and Neurontin 2,400-3,000mg per day for both additional seizure control and to help with anxiety (hence the range- I take 600mg tablets of the neurontin 1 twice a day and 2 at bedtime, with an optional dose when I need it). For the previous one or two weeks, I had however gone up pretty significantly on the Neurontin (even having the additional tablets, I'm still going to run out before I can get a refill even if I take my minimum dose each day from here on out)... I had an increase in anxiety and it became impossible for me to sleep after a pretty traumatic event happened to me. So, I took my additional neurontin every day... that did nothing for me really with the anxiety being so bad (usually the one additional does help with anxiety, just this time it didn't)... so, I went up- was recently up to taking about 8 additional pills a day for a few nights, when I realized I really needed to not do that, so yesterday didn't take it in the morning or afternoon and planned to take just two at bedtime and from then on go back to just my minimum 4 per day.

Yesterday I ended up having three seizures during that day alone, which is way more than I've had in that short of a time period before. Before this, my seizures had been incredibly well controlled for some period of time (a few when I got sick a couple times and was vomiting so bad I couldn't keep my meds down, but that was almost expected and once they made me go in and get IV Keppra, I was okay). I've been trying to figure out the cause of this... could my body had gotten that dependent on the extra neurontin so quickly? I thought Neurontin was a relatively mild and harmless medication though and had been told by the doctors that it was super safe- but could going from the higher dose that I had been taking, even though I only took a higher dose for a pretty short period of time, down to my original normal dose had been enough to trigger the seizures? The only other thing I can think of, is I have a few different pill boxes to sort my pills in, and this past week had used one I sorted a couple weeks ago (I usually sort them like two weeks at a time since I have that many pill boxes and that makes it easier for me), but just recently (i.e. after I sorted that pill box) I got switched from Keppra pills to Keppra liquid. Same dose, just different form. However, at the beginning of last week when I started on the new pill box, I unintentionally was taking BOTH the Keppra pills AND liquid. That happened for maybe 2 or 3 days tops, until I remembered that I had the Keppra pills in that box, so I took those pills out of the box for the rest of the days and discarded those so that I didn't get confused and accidentally take both again (sorting pills in advance has a lot of benefits, but apparently some drawbacks too- like when your meds get adjusted and you're not paying attention cuz you're still half asleep in the morning when you take your meds). Taking the little bit extra for a couple days wouldn't hurt, would it? I doubt that's it, because the extra was taken like Sunday/Monday of last week, and the seizures I had were yesterday (Easter Sunday) so if it was from the extra Keppra, wouldn't I have seen the seizures manifest sooner? I just can't figure out what caused the multiple seizures yesterday and I'm a bit afraid to mention it to my neuro, I'm afraid she'll ask "what happened" since they had been so well controlled between the Keppra and Neurontin, and I'm afraid to tell her about it without offering up some possible ideas as to what could have changed or been different yesterday or during the couple days before or something, that may have triggered the seizures.

Neurontin is a powerful med, and needs to be taken with the same consistency and care as other anti-seizure medications. It's not a good idea to vary the dose on Neurontin, and doing so could very well have triggered your seizures. You should definitely talk about the medications with your neurologist to make sure you and she are on the same page -- if you are having occasional anxiety or sleep issues, it might make more sense to take an occasional valium or ativan, rather than to have a high/variable Neurontin dosage.

Thanks guys. The only reason I played with the dose of Neurontin, is that my PCP and psychiatrist (who are the ones that prescribe the Neurontin, since a major reason I'm on it is to control the anxiety, they thought it'd be a good one for my anxiety since I do respond well to it in that manner, plus it allows me to take a lower dose of my Keppra, which makes me happy) had told me it was very mild and safe, and actually prescribe it in such a manner that the baseline minimum amount I have to take in a day is 4 pills of 600mg each in a day, but they give me more than that amount with the instructions to take extra when needed when the anxiety gets really bad.

I did email my neurologist finally to ask her about it, and also am supposed to discuss the anxiety with my PCP when I see her tomorrow, she had said during our last appointment that if I was still having multiple panic attacks in a day every day of the week, that she may try me on a short term course of prn ativan, which I've been on before and which worked extremely well for me.

Your PCP and psychiatrist were off-base with their Neurontin instructions then. It really should be used consistently, not increased or reduced on an "as-needed" basis. You should ask your neurologist to give them a verbal dopeslap on your behalf...

Heard back from the neuro, she seemed to say the same thing others here have already said regarding the Neurontin and not varying the dose from day to day, also taking it at regularly spaced intervals and at the same time each day, etc since the half life is apparently pretty short too (I hadn't previously taken it all that regularly spaced out since the other docs were varying how often I was taking it and all sorts of other stuff, trying to have some consistent regular times to take it all the time became chaotic). She said she'd talk to my other doctors about it, to let them know no more messing around with the dose and stuff like that and that if they want to increase my dose they can do so, but not to have it being different from day to day. She said that was likely part of it, but could have also been my abnormal electrolyte levels, along with the increased anxiety lately.

Back
Top Bottom