possible partial seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lilmanil

New
Reaction score
hello all! i'm really worried that i may have what i think is called 'simple partial seizure'. here are my symptoms:

lastnight - i went all funny.
my boyfriend thought i was being bitchy - but i wasn't...i was being normal to me.
i felt as thought i was pished - only i didn't have a drink.
i looked as though i was stoned - only i hadn't had a joint.
i was walking as though i was pished for a short time.
i couldn't focus.
i kept staring into space and then snapping out of it.
the pressure in my forehead was unreal. best way i can describe it was as if i was being held by my legs, and swung around really fast - so all the blood rushed there.
there was no pain - it just felt so heavy, and tight!!
my lips were going numb and tingly - the left side anyway.
my face was tingly.

earlier that day, i had an excruciating migraine - if i moved, it was terrible! especially if i bent down...i thought i was going to pass out if i bent down to pick something up for the kids.
my constant moving about with the kids and stuff caused my to be sick from the pain.
i felt a wee bit better - but no paracetemols or vomiting got rid of it.
it did fade away eventually on it's own, thank god.
don't know if that is related to my other things that happened later that night!

i have been going spacey for a few days now - constant lip tingling on and off throughout the past few days - my face is getting it more and more now.
i've noticed my shoulders feel like they're clicking every now and then randomly!
my mood is changing erratically
today my head has been twinging on and off - a headache never came thank god.
i haven't had no strange head pressure since last night - and i hope it doesn't happen again.
it has me completely baffled though.
any insight would be great

ever since last nights head pressure - i have not been able to stop yawning. it also made me sooooo tired, only the yawning continued through today - even when not tired. i'd say my yawns are varying between 3-8 every 10 minutes??? the yawning is not constant - but once i start, they tend to follow through for a while afterwards with the 3-8 every 10 mins.

also, sometimes when i wake up in the morning, my hands are heavy and useless. i can't do anything until my hands come back round to my body. i cant even clench my fist.
this has happened on and off for as long as i can remember!

sorry for the long post - just want it to be as accurate as possible. i may have missed things out. but i think i've typed enough for now

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanx :)

those could be anything any unsteadyness cause it could be exactly what u said partials i would have it checked out when it comes to the brain you always want to be sure no blows to the head recently?or if u think you are leaving anything out could be complex seizures can be tricky then again could be something totally different but personally and im no expert by any means sounds like partials to me.

Migraine and epilepsy are close cousins, so some of the symptoms overlap. But all the ones you list, including the clumsiness, spaciness, moodiness, tingling, and excessive yawning can be migraine symptoms. Even if these symptoms are new to you, they can still be migraine-related (they are notorious for changing over time). Can you think of any unusual triggers that may have brought them on (dietary, environmental, hormonal, physical/emotional)?

If they get worse or continue to be worrisome, get in touch with your doc to be evaluated.

thanx for your replies! :)

the only thing that was different, was that i never had a cup of tea for a few hours lol...i am addicted so it does affect me lol

i see where you are coming from with the migraine. it really does make sense, especially since i had one earlier that day.

the reason i inched more toward epilepsy was because throughout my life, i have had some rather strange encounters - which when i look back on could possibly be just that - maybe! this is why i need you guys...if you don't mind :)

when i was a child - from the age of 3 til about 16..quite often, i would hear what sounded like a horse and carriage going over a cobbled road - it was that perfectly clear, i could actually visualise it!
i went to the doctors about it, i had all sorts of hearing tests done and they could never figure out what it was. as i got older, i just put it down to some kind of paranormal thing since i am into that sort of thing - but it never quite made sense.
when i was younger, i would also feel (not sure if it went hand in hand with the horse and carriage) as though everything around me was going super fast, or super slow, sometimes things would be normal speed, only everything would be wobbling about.
none of that happens now - but i last heard the horse and carriage at the age of 18 - i am now 25.

what i have experienced my whole life are dizzy spells that are crazy, but they come on all of a sudden, my speech goes all over the place, i make no sense and sometimes can't even talk. sometimes my legs go from underneath me.
there are times when i've played too much call of duty and i get all shaky.
and my heavy useless hands happen quite often...only when i wake up the hand thing happens!

forgot to mention - i have also started randomly grunting over the last few weeks - i don't know when i'm going to do it, so it's not like i can stop it. it's sooo weird, i don't know if anybody knows anything about that??

so sorry - just going through my memory banks about all of this and i remember my so called 'sleep paralysis'. i put it down to sleep paralysis because it was the only logical thing!!
i was woken up at 3:15am i could seee the clock out the corner of my eye - but my head was pushed to the right, i was screaming but nothing was coming out - i also couldn't move! it felt as though somethign was rushing up my body, and then i think i passed out - i woke up again, and the whole thing repeated! that has never happened since, thank god! which led me to believe even more it was sleep paralysis...although it still might be.
i'm just trying to figure out what has been happening throughout my life on the unexplainable things - they all seem to make sense when put down to simple partials?

Last edited:
Our bodies are such mysteries sometimes.
I snort coming out of my partial seizures and sometimes during. Just for the sheer entertainment of others I suppose. My partials could be so subtle sometimes if it weren't for the sound effects!
The horse and buggy thing sounds very interesting! Like an auditory hallucination!

My sister gets sleep paralysis so I'll have to ask her about her experiences with it. Although who knows, maybe she has nocturnal seizures. My sister and father do!
I guess we're genetically enhanced.
You should talk to your GP! Bring a list. Doctors secretly love lists I think. Either that or they hate them openly. But they sure make me feel better because I know that I'll mention everything I meant to.
Be your own health advocate!

thank you!
the horse and carriage thing has had me baffled since it first happened - i would love, love, love to know what that was all about!!

the grunting thing has only just recently started happening. i find it quite embarassing since i have no control over it - i don't even know when it's going to happen. it just happens! so i would also love to know what that is down to.
it is good to know that you have an explanation for your snorting - it makes me feel there's a chance i am looking in the right direction this time!!

a trip to the doctors is in order! i'm sure my doctor would love a list as he has OCD lol

thanx again!
claire :)

Last edited:
sorry i'm going on. i just don't understand these things!

last night - i was just sitting watching celebrity juice and got a really strong smell of a fire. i was frantically looking about the house to find where it was! my partner almost had a heart attack wondering what was wrong with me ha.
couldn't find any fire, and my partner couldn't smell it!

about 10-15 minutes later, i had chest pains on my right side. when i breathed in, it was soo painful. when i went to bed, it was excruciating pain trying to sleep on my left side...
when i woke up this morning, my chest pains have gone. but my right arm is sore???
any ideas?

there are times when i've played too much call of duty and i get all shaky.
That should be a heads-up to try and limit computer time, or at least break up long stretches with non-computer activities. Computer over-use can be a trigger -- whether for migraines or for seizure. Looking at computer screens for a long time can mess with sleep, and a lot of times monitor flicker or flashing imagery can cause problems too. Plus there's the eyestrain, and the effects on posture and circulation...

The olfactory aura could be seizure-related -- add it to the list for the doc!

Right-side chest pain can be caused by an infection or digestive issues. Assuming you've ruled those out, stress and anxiety are also known to cause right-side chest pain -- any chance that might have been what was going on? The sore right arm might just be from awkward sleeping during the night to accommodate your chest pain.

one thing that came to mind is considering if you might have a carbon monoxide leak around somewhere

it's not the wisest thing to assume you're having seizures until you've experienced a pattern of similarity that has been checked by doctors

especially if you're talking about simple partials, which I still don't really quite understand, and I've had many grand mals

I've had to try to guess what other types of seizures are just by association or by trying to externalize my rationality, to objectively look at my emotions and things, which is not easy considering my senses are probably totally skewed anyway if i am having a seizure

it's hard for me to tell, unless I wake up with a smashed face or with paramedics in my face

I would advise maintaining a journal!

good job for looking for answers!
there is a lot of useful info on this site

i do suffer from anxiety, so it very well could be that which caused the chest pain. although, i wasn't anxious at the time, and hadn't been throughout the day. as for the arm...i was in the garden hanging washing out earlier, and the dog came to me with her ball. i remembered, i was throwing the ball for her yesterday for a while - so that's where the sore arm has came from!!

i did think of carbon monoxide the other day...but, i've had my home tested before, because of the way i've been feeling (a while back), and it was clear.
i am going to get my dads carbon monoxide detector to test again though!

this is why i'm on this site, these things haven't just came on over the last few weeks. they have been going on since i was a small child. in several different households.
be it seizures, migraines or something completely different...i'm eager to find out exactly what is going on.
a journal seems like a brilliant idea! would be able to learn allsorts from that!

what is an olfactory aura?

petero - it must be awful to wake up with paramedics in your face, or your face smashed! i can't even begin to imagine how that must feel!
thank you so much for your help guys, i really appreciate it :)

An olfactory aura is basically like a hallucinated smell, and it can be a migraine aura as well as a kind of simple partial seizure. Often it's a strong unpleasant smell, like smoke or diesel.

Here are some posts on the topic from our archives:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/differentiation-olfactory-aura-migraine-sps-8758/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...ng-do-your-bad-smells-last-per-episode-11943/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...t-hours-olfactory-aura-cant-really-sps-12224/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...tory-auras-accompanying-olfactory-ones-12607/

thanx for that. just read through some of them. caught hold of a post sombody named endless made. along with the smell,"Sort of like burning rubber feels in the back of your throat. "
thats what it was like when i could smell the smoke - feeling as though i was actually inhaling smoke. i just put that down to the fact i was sniffing so hard trying to find out where the smoke was lol.

either way, my smelling of poop and burning smell and some other nasty smells that i can't even explain...it's not normal. that in itself needs to be checked out.

roll on monday so i can make an appointment :)

just to add - when you asked if anything may have triggered this..
i have anorexia, prior that that strange night i had - i hadn't eaten properly for 4 days. i basically had a couple of biscuits for 2 days, chips on the 3rd day and couple biscuits again on the 4th.
that day i probably started eating properly

first on the list of triggers there - caffeine. i am addicted to tea. well, i'm not addicted - just scared to go without one because of what happens! if i go a couple of hours without a cup of tea - i am practically dying, with migraine...or is it a migraine, as it accompanies all sorts of other feelings!

the more i look back at my history and present - i swear to god, it all links with epilepsy!
rapid blinking as a child - constantly getting eye drops off the doctor
i remember meds for migraines
auditory hallcuinations (horse and carriage)
things moving fast paced
things spinning and wobbling
severe dizzy spells
sleep paralysis episode (which was possible seizure)
panic attacks (which i've read seizures can mimic them)
mumbling when talking
grunting for no reason
actual whole body jerking for about 30 seconds uncontrollably
strange smells
visual disturbances
migraines(only with lack of tea, or slept too much)
heavy, numb useless hands
violence in sleep(at times)
staring into space
my rapid blinking as a child - has gone to hard blinking as an adult (not constantly)
etc. etc. etc.

At least tea tends to be a little better for you than coffee, because it has a gentler curve as it enters and exits your system. Coffee is more of a spike -- a big jolt and a nasty fall.

i stopped drinking coffee as it makes me ill! used to end up all dizzy, feeling faint and shaky and sweating off them.
now that's how i feel (and worse) when i skip a cup of tea!

last night, i had a joint - first one in months ..and last!
i played on bejeweled and ended up feeling like i was dying. my neck started having a muscle twitch in it, then my hand jumped, and my foot(all right side), then my leg kept twitching in different spots, sometimes jumping. i had to come off the game as the feeling in my stomach was sooo sickly and i felt like my head was spinning. kind of like i had far too much to drink. i had to lay down in the end
i don't know if it was anything - or just the effects of the marijuana. i do know, it's not the first time this has happened when playing a game.
it is worse, to the point i need to lay down if i have marijuana.
does marijuana make things like that happen?

Marijuana affects different people...differently. Some people have found that marijuana helps control their seizures, and there is a substance found in it that can mimic a substance in the body that plays a role in calming the nerves. But that substance tends to be found in the least potent varieties of marijuana.

The gaming may be more to blame. Either way, you should make a note of it, since identifying triggers and patterns can help.

thank you for all of your help! i really appreciate it :)

i'm going to stop searching and trying to diagnose myself now. i think it's best if i just head to the doctors tomorrow and see what he has to say! i will post up on here what happens at the doctors!

thanx again :)

Back
Top Bottom