Possible side effect?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I get hiccups all the time though. mostly from my myoclonics, so how can I tell the differnce?

Good question! I guess if you had the hiccups before you went on the Lamictal, then they're more likely to be seizure-related. If the hiccups feel qualitatively different now that you're on the Lamictal, they could be caused by the Lamictal. Of course in a perfect world, the Lamictal would be completely controlling your seizures (including the myoclonic ones) and there would be zero side effects to puzzle over. In a perfect world.

Hello Rae, :hello:
Haven't posted myself for a while since being back at work. Eek! :eek: Anyways, I apologize now for not reading all the threads to your question (getting tired: 11.00pm in UK), but over the last couple of days I have also noticed a tightness feeling when breathing whilst gradually increasing Lamotrigine and also feel as though I am shaking on the inside, though not visible to the eye. I don't think I have got a cold coming but cannot be 100% sure. I will be taking 100mg as of Wednesday and will be gradually coming off the Keppra which I am not looking forward to because I am not sure how strong the Lamotrigine is compared to the Keppra I am taking. :dontknow: The Keppra seems to be keeping my seizures under control though not keen on the side effects. Making me quite moody which is definitely not me, tired and my hair is still falling out though not as much since I have been taking vitamin tablets and Lamotrigine. I hope you get things sorted out and if you do go to your doctors let us know how you have got on. :p
Night, night here from the UK. :cheers:
Best Wishes
Debbie
:rose:

Many conditions are associated with hiccups, but none has been shown to be the cause of hiccups.

* If you eat too fast, you can swallow air along with your food and end up with a case of the hiccups.

* Any other practices that might irritate the diaphragm such as eating too much (especially fatty foods) or drinking too much (drunk people hiccup) can make you prone to having hiccups.

* In these instances, your stomach, which sits underneath and adjacent to the diaphragm, is distended or stretched. Because they occur in relation to eating and drinking, hiccups are sometimes thought to be a reflex to protect you from choking.
Although associated with a variety of ailments (some can be serious such as pneumonia or when harmful substances build up in the blood for example from kidney failure), hiccups are not serious and have no clear reason for occurring.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/hiccups/article_em.htm#Hiccups Overview

I have a remedy that works for me. It involves breathing very slowly, as far as possible in either direction while in a quiet zone. Focus only on the breathing.. .a bit of a meditative state. Works every time for Rebecca and myself.

i've been on lamictal for a long time. i remember my breathing changing when i first went on it. its weird that the site said it was easy to swallow cuz in my experience it taste like crap and gets stuck on my tongue. but thats just me lol also if i miss more than 2 doses (sp?) i get a hungover feeling and have a real hard time driving cuz i get disoriented easily. i hope that much is different for u.

Back
Top Bottom