postictal sleep deprivation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
does anyone know of any info on this issue?

for example being sleep deprived after a major tonic-clonic

sleep deprivation itself can cause psychosis, I wonder about postictal sleep deprivation causing psychosis, after a psychotic seizure even

I tend to sleep quite a bit after a tonic-clonic, so I haven't experienced sleep deprivation after a seizure. Has this happened to you more than once Peter?

Sorry i dont know off any real information on the subject.But i do remember in my early to mid twentys,when i was tree planting for a living,suffering tonic-clonic seizures on more than one occasion,and coming to in the heather.I always managed to work the rest off the day,all be it not at full pace and would ALWAYS jump straight into bed when i got home.But i do think its natural to sleep.Someone once told me suffering a tonic-clonic is like running a marathon on the human body,but i dont know how true that is.Thats all i can tell you on the subject im afraid Petero.

I tend to sleep quite a bit after a tonic-clonic, so I haven't experienced sleep deprivation after a seizure. Has this happened to you more than once Peter?

I was wondering about any studies done on the subject.
I know that sleep deprivation in general can do all sorts of damage. But I was wondering if there was any knowledge of any special type of problems that may have been subject of study relating to sleep deprivation after tonic-clonic seizures, or seizures in general.
I believe I had a timespan where this may very well have been an issue because it has been problematic for me since.

"sleep deprivation and seizure" types of googling around results in the obvious "sleep deprivation CAUSES seizures" route whereas I was going for the vice versa.

Last edited:
That hapens to me quite often. Most of the time, I will pass out for four or five hours after a seizure, and then I cannot sleep for days and days. My doc thinks its some ind of phobia, where if I let myself fall asleep, I may not wake up- I tend to be TERRIFIED in my postictal states. Another reason that may cause this is the brain itself is still misfiring, and that can cause insomnia and everything else. Just keep digging, you'll find some good info.

Thanks LadyLee80 - welcome to the forum.

Some good info would be welcome.
Thinking through all of this stuff is a life in and of itself.

Back
Top Bottom