Prayers needed

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
I may be away for a few days.

This morning I was to take my friend David to dialysis at 11:30. I got off the phone at 10 am and when I went to pick him up there was no answer. I pounded on the door, called and called and then beat on the window of his daughter's room to wake her.

He was lying on the livingroom floor, unresponsive and barley breathing. He was seizing and posturing. I called EMS and he was transported. He is awake now but sluring . They will admit him and are running tests.

Not sure what happened but it was too fast to be an insulin reaction. I am afraid he might have had a stroke or thrown a clot. He had surgery last Friday to repair 2 hernias in his groin.

Last night he had an insulin dive and we had to call EMS and an epidoopde last thursday as well. He has become so brittle! When I found him his eyes were open but he was not seeing, he was not there. I have NEVER seen him in such a bad state and I've seen some doozies with him.

He has asked me to get his Last Will and Testament prepared for him.

I have to take his daughter to get groceries and help clean the house. She's 17 The xmas tree still has to come down.

Pray for David.

Of course David has my prayers .......

And BBB - I thank God for YOU.

You are a great friend Birdy...

...I will be praying for David and his family.
:rock:

Thank you here's the poop...

They ruled out stroke or cardiac problems. They think it was just low blood sugar, but I think he seized too. His eyes were open but he was not blinking or seeing. His tongue was hanging out and he was having trouble breathing and he was posturing. Moaning in a humming sort of way. His hand was clamped around the abdominal dilaysis tube and we had to pry his fingers off so he woudn't pull it out. The last thing he remembers is talking to me on the phone and trying to get up off the couch, then ZIP!

He took his shot at 7 but never ate breakfast. That and the recent surgery and being a renal failure and on dialysis just took it's toll! They sent him home and he looks right as rain now. In fact we had dinner at the Cannery Buffet and he ate like a goddamned horse!

He scared about 4 years off my life this morning. One thing he is now aware of and will accept, he CANNOT be left alone. He is just too brittle. He has been insulin dependant since he was 7 yrs old. As fast as he went down and he's NEVER been unresponsive before. There has always been some degree of awareness. This was an ominus warning.

Last night when he went down, it took 4 of us to hold him down to get his IV started. He had gripped my right hand and if they hadn't SAT on him, he would have broken my arm.

I always told him if here were to be in that state, he was going to the hospital. His health has deterioated so much this past year. He is my best and closest friend. It scares me to think what would have happened if we didn't have that appointment this morning!

Never dull in MY world

I'm too old for this $hit

:(

Sorry to hear that David is having more difficulties. Please let him know for what it's worth that your internet friends wish him well.

Actually BB, low blood sugar can trigger seizures, so what you saw probably was a seizure. I'm glad to hear that David's doing better, but he might want to consider having a nurse stop in and check on him a couple of times a week. And he needs to make sure he's monitoring his blood sugar better. :)

Let David know we are prayinf for him, his Family and you. Friends Prayers and Actions really do help you get through!

Message for David and many of you!
Dear BB,
My prayers are with you and David. You are a real great person, friend & I'm very proud of you. One thing I'd like to mention is that when my child (9 yr old) gets his seizure (known as cplx partial), his eyes are open, staring at a spot, with shallow breathing... I also agree totally that low sugar would cause seizure. Mine exactly fainted once at 12 noon, after a week he had a seizure (above said) exactly at 12 noon, just before he started his lunch at school. So, my Ayurveda dr said that "dates" are the best remedy for this. It keeps your sugar level well, prevents you from seizure due to that reason. If you consume fructose it is a sudden increase, which wont be good.
So, may be this is a good piece of advice for many of you.... DO INCLUDE DATES IN YOUR BREAKFAST & BETWEEN BF AND LUNCH, MAKE SURE TO EAT A FEW DATES. YOU WILL SEE A GOOD DIFFERENCE. (My son doesn't even want to taste dates though... I am trying my best :(
Good luck to David & you. Hope he gets well soon.
Take care!

((((((((((( Birdy )))))))))))))))

My prayers are remaining for David,
I know this can be downright frustrating!

:(

Keep us posted!

Thanks guys!

be69947d.gif

He's much better today. I took him to dialysis at 7:30 this morning. It's on the other side of the valley! In spite of these low sugar episoded, he's very healthy.

He had no problems until his brand of insulin was discontinued and he had to switch. Then his transplanted kidney failed. And he pulled his abdominal tubing out, then the henias and now the surgery. He has been in and out of the hospital sevral times in the past 6 months and I see him aging fast.

He monitors his blood 4x's a day and injects insulin 2 x's a day. What he is going to do now is lower the amount of insulin in his evening shot. This is when most of his problems happens. Yesterday, he was on the phone to his mother and then me and got distracted from eating breakfast. He KNOWS better.

But what was strange, is I can hear it in his voice when he needs to eat. I can always tell when his sugars are low but I missed it yesterday morning.

Amy,
David is a juice nut. He has a Jack Lalane juicer and juices every morning. When he is in the hospital and can't juice he feels sluggish and weak. I will pass the suggestion of the date. Maybe he'll drop a couple in his morning juice!

I have a recipe for date nut loaf that is out of this world. Let me know if you'd liike to have it.

I would have thought that Dates would have a high glycemic index and therefore not suitable for diabetics, so I did some searching.

David Mendosa said:
... e-mail Chris Ball in Australia sent me last month questioning the reported GI of dates, 103 (where glucose = 100). He wondered how such a high number was possible with all the fiber in dates.

After checking the facts, he got me wondering too. That number comes from The Glucose Revolution and not from the earlier Australian edition of the book, then titled The G.I. Factor, which linked the original studies published in peer-reviewed literature. Subsequent editions of the book do not provide links to the original source.

Indeed, more than 10 percent of the carbohydrates in dates are fiber, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Nutrient Database. And according to the USDA's "Sugar Content of Selected Foods," the only tested sugar in dates is sucrose, 44.6 grams of a total sugar of 64.2 grams per 100 grams of dates. There are unknown amounts of maltose and "other sugars" (which means sugars other than galactose, glucose, fructose, lactose, sucrose, and maltose). But even if all the unknown sugar was maltose (GI 105 where glucose = 100), that could not explain the reported GI of dates.

Even Jennie Brand-Miller is puzzled by the high glycemic index of dates. She is the lead author of The Glucose Revolution and The G.I. Factor. When I asked her, this is what she replied: We tested dates ourselves and we were just as shocked as you by the high number but we checked and rechecked. The only possible explanation is that the food label has the incorrect amount of carbohydrate so that we might have fed more than a 50 g CHO portion. Still it would have to be out by a factor of 2 if the GI were really in the middle like we expected. Bw Jennie ...

Diabetes Update, March 1, 2001

then I found this...

PubMed said:
RESULTS: The mean glycemic indexes of the dates were 35.5 for khalas, 49.7 for barhi and 30.5 for bo ma'an. There was a significant difference between the results for bo ma'an and for the other 2 varieties. CONCLUSION: Dates can be classified as low glycemic index food items. There appears to be significant and unexplained differences in glycemic index between some date varieties. Nonetheless, the consumption of the 3 varieties of dates tested in this study may be of benefit in glycemic and lipid control of diabetic patients.

Glycemic index of 3 varieties of dates

Interesting Bernard!

Still Praying Donna!

PS: Fork over that Recipe!

:D

Im praying for david too.... the kidney problems i have hurt but nothing compared to having to go through dialysis ....i can imagine what he must be going through.. Big hugs to david.

love
angel

my prayers out for david and family and friends.
My sisters best friend is diabetic and she has had seizures when her blood sugar drops way to low. I believe the kind she will have are called drop seizures.
Tammy

My goodness. = ( David and his family have my prayers. He is very lucky to have a friend like you!!!

I have given David the link to this thread so he'll be reading the well wishes too!

Amy thank you for the dates suggestion. And thanks for the links Bernard, David is checking them out too. David had heard about them and is willing to give it a try. He's having a hard time keeping his sugars stable and I think a lot of it's because of the dialysis and surgery. Plus his as hardheaded as any jackass!

28201079.jpg

Back
Top Bottom