Prayers needed

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well here it is Monday again and we start the week off with a 911 call. :pop:

David's daughter (age 17) found him on the floor unresponsive, in a seizure-like state, foaming at the mouth, eyes open. She called EMTs and then me.

This time the paramedics thought it best to give him glucose and not transport but they were not very happy about being there. David missed his dialysis appointment so he will go tomorrow.

Now for the good news...I had a heart to heart talk with him. I don't want to find him dead on the floor and he needs to re-evaluate how he is dealing with his diabeties. He is older, his body has changed so has his condition. I called his doctor and spoke to her about the situation. She wanted and was willing to see him right away. So I went with Daivd and his daughter to his appointment and discussed these episodes with her.

I learned a new trick to help bring him back when he cannot respond. Icing! The cake decorating icing in a tube! Squirt a big glob inside his lower lip. There are nerve endings and receptors that begin to absorb the sugar right away. It works faster than honey and we don't even have to worry if he can or can't swallow.

And what LOOKS like a seizure really isn't. The brain needs the sugar in the blood to survive. When there is no sugar, it is starving and reacts violently. It makes the person appear to have a seizure like reaction. If he has too many of these, he can go into coma, have a stroke, heart , lung failure, or die.

We have no idea for sure how long he was down but it had to be nearly an hour! OMG! He left a puddle of drool on the carpet and his terry robe was soaked with sweat.

The doctor also gave him a different type of insulin. One that keeps the same level all day instead of peaking like his current one does. We are crossing our fingers that THIS will eliminate most of these crashes.

The crash he had this morning was his own fault. He got up. His sugar was high so he had his shot then took a lortab for his pain (remember he had abdominal surgery 2 weeks ago to repair a couple of hernias) then LAID BACK DOWN on the couch and fell asleep! All this without bothering to eat breakfast. DUMBASS!

His doctor is really nice, and very caring and concerned! I LIKE this lady! And will be there whenever he calls except when she sings in her church choir on Sundays, but will call right after services. LOL!

David is fine tonight. Just tired.

I'm tired too. It's hard running from one crisis to another.
0625ff63.gif
The paramedics have been called to his house 4 times in the past week. That fool better start eating regular. Oh well, what are friends for!

Last edited:
Well BB, sounds like you got your friend on the right track. :) I hope his new glucose works for him. :)

You have been a God send for so many Donna.

David his family and you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks guys. It's nice to get a pat on the back!
Leo's are loyal friends and tenaciously protective.
:star:

9c3006b8.gif

The new insulin has changed his LIFE ! His color is great, He feels GREAT and his sugar is LEVEL! He has gotten the okay to drive again. David is back to where he was over a year ago. I guess the old insulin was slowly killing him. We were preparing ourselves to find him dead one morning.

Today I stayed home and rested.

I am happy! :banana:

Good News, Birdy!....

...as I read your post the sun came out here!
:rock:

WoNdErFuL nEwS!

That is tremendously awesome news
and finally a much relief to hear!

:woot:

The hunt for our restaurant is back on. We are now looking at facilities again. I just can't believe the change in him!.

Just last week he told his daughter if he had another episode, he hopes it kills him because he is so tire of dealing with all this.

Now it's just a matter of adjusting the new insulin. His blood sugars are so high in the morning they won't even read. The doctor would rather it be too high than too low, she says she can fix too high.

The peace of Jesus BE with David and his family,amen

David and his family are lucky to have you for a friend!
I will pray for them as well.

Michelle : ))

Thank you for saying that, thats what keeps me so faith filled! The truth is we are lucky to have each other to reach out to. Im really the lucky here because its sooo much better to give than recieve! Every time you give you recieve much more in return. If you can only realize how blessed you{WE) already are. Peace

Back
Top Bottom