Preparing for Sleep Deprivation EEG

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MouseyMouse

Pillar
Reaction score
Hey all:

I've been talking with my doctors about my seizures, and now they have scheduled an MRI and EEG which came back as normal. She has decided to refer me to a neurologist and take me off my anxiety medication as well as schedule a sleep deprived EEG.

I've been reading online on how to prepare for one of those and most of the internet says that they want you to have half the amount of sleep as normal, so if you're sleeping 6 hours a day, then you'd sleep for 3 hours the night before the test.

When the hospital called to confirm the appointment, they told me that I cannot sleep for 24 hours prior to the test.

The test is Wednesday morning. So, I get to sleep tonight and wake up no later than 7:15AM - and my EEG is scheduled for 24 hours past that.

I have not found anywhere that tells me whether I can rely on caffeine or not, to keep myself awake.

I'm so nervous to do this. I know that lack of sleep, too much caffeine and anxiety are my triggers - hence the anxiety medication....

I'm wondering what would happen if I had a seizure in the middle of the night before my test? I always sleep after my seizures. Would that cause the hospital to reschedule my EEG?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
M

I am having a sleep deprived EEG on Wednesday as well. My instructions said no caffeine for 24 hours prior to test. And the sleep instructions were to go to bed 2 hours later than normal and wake up 2 hours earlier than normal. We can keep each other awake!!!!!!!!! And don't fall asleep on the ride there. I might be too anxious anyways to sleep. Try not to worry about the what if's of having a seizure the night before, I am sure they have seen it all before. But if you end up having a seizure and need to sleep it off make sure to call them so you don't waste a trip. I hope all goes great for you!

hi skipp8 - thanks for your reply and good luck with your test tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your input as well. It's good to know that I'm not the only one going through this. Sometimes, I forget this.

Back
Top Bottom