previous diagnoses anyone?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mylo

New
Reaction score
has anyone else been diagnosed with ADD or a personality disorder prior to their EEG/epilepsy diagnosis?

any other prior diagnosis?

just wondering, thanks :)

I haven't been dx'd with epilepsy officially (it's just a HUGE suspicion of mine), but I've been dx'd with bipolar 1 (mainly mixed episodes); I also had a mental health nurse practitioner try to prescribe me ADHD meds without doing a proper evaluation for it (went by a self-eval, which lets face it- if everyone answered honestly on those 99% of the population would be diagnosed), so I said no to those meds. To be fair, I'd get a kick out of the weight-loss side-effects, but I do not want to be on a medication that may not be necessary. She's no longer my np, I basically "fired" her. Partially for that, but mostly because she sat on a refill request for my lamotrigine for several days and I ran out and was off of it for two and a half days. She should have known better. You go three days without it, I'm told, you have to start over from square one. I felt like complete crap those days, and some days prior because I'd been cutting the dosages just to make them last longer.

But I digress. Bipolar 1, I also have a history of bulimia (which I still relapse to too frequently since my coping skills are crap), and according to the crappy np ADHD (but I'll believe it when a proper np evaluates me for it, which I may have done soon here, but dunno). Other than that, migraines and fibromyalgia. :\ Yikes.

When I first started having SP seizures, my foolish GP said I was hypoglycemic and prescribed a med for that. The seizures slowly increased in intensity and 6 weeks later I ended up in the ICU with 2nd and 3rd degree burns from a fall in the shower during my 1st TC seizure. So I spent two months in the hospital with burns on my right arm, back and right side. I had several debridement surgeries along with several skin graft surgeries, and had numerous tests to determine that I had epilepsy and not hypoglycemia.

When in doubt, insist on seeing a neurologist, preferably one who specializes in epilepsy.

I haven't been dx'd with epilepsy officially (it's just a HUGE suspicion of mine), but I've been dx'd with bipolar 1 (mainly mixed episodes); I also had a mental health nurse practitioner try to prescribe me ADHD meds without doing a proper evaluation for it (went by a self-eval, which lets face it- if everyone answered honestly on those 99% of the population would be diagnosed), so I said no to those meds. To be fair, I'd get a kick out of the weight-loss side-effects, but I do not want to be on a medication that may not be necessary. She's no longer my np, I basically "fired" her. Partially for that, but mostly because she sat on a refill request for my lamotrigine for several days and I ran out and was off of it for two and a half days. She should have known better. You go three days without it, I'm told, you have to start over from square one. I felt like complete crap those days, and some days prior because I'd been cutting the dosages just to make them last longer.

But I digress. Bipolar 1, I also have a history of bulimia (which I still relapse to too frequently since my coping skills are crap), and according to the crappy np ADHD (but I'll believe it when a proper np evaluates me for it, which I may have done soon here, but dunno). Other than that, migraines and fibromyalgia. :\ Yikes.

i've always found that my TLE mimics adhd a lot, yet some doc's say they're almost opposite to each other. i might possibly suffer from borderline, but mildly compared to other people, i meet the criteria but i won't be officially diagnosed until i'm 18 in a few months. i respond well to stimulants too, but build tolerance rather quickly to most. used to abuse adderall when i was younger too.

that's a horrible doc you had there... i had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago, i had NO more victan for a week. so i just decided to get off of it. cold turkey benzo wd's are disgusting.

my girlfriend was an anorexic a while back. she eventually got through it (a few months before we met actually). she says it was hard but learning to find new ways to cope (apparently i'm her new way, not so sure that's a safe substitute) made all the difference.

When I first started having SP seizures, my foolish GP said I was hypoglycemic and prescribed a med for that. The seizures slowly increased in intensity and 6 weeks later I ended up in the ICU with 2nd and 3rd degree burns from a fall in the shower during my 1st TC seizure. So I spent two months in the hospital with burns on my right arm, back and right side. I had several debridement surgeries along with several skin graft surgeries, and had numerous tests to determine that I had epilepsy and not hypoglycemia.

When in doubt, insist on seeing a neurologist, preferably one who specializes in epilepsy.

i'm sorry you had to go through that :(

i don't understand why doctors don't normally ask for some studies, did they at least check your fasted glucose?

As far as I know I do still have ADD and it wasn't ruled out after my E diagnosis HOWEVER I was also diagnosed with multiple personality disorder (DID) and schizophrenia and given medication and years of therapy (12) before receiving the E diagnosis. I called my therapist who insisted my blackouts and space outs were DID and when I told him of the E diagnosis he was still convinced it was DID even though I have an EEG to confirm the E. some psychs go with the schizophrenia and some with the DID and in my younger stages of therapy bipolar was diagnosed as well for the hallucinations and highs but the highs only came during the times my blackouts would stop. Sometimes for a week sometimes for a month or two. That was ruled out long ago.
Now I do know I have some mental issues. I have ADD GAD and PTSD sorry for so many abbreviations

Back
Top Bottom