Project to Promote Epilepsy Awareness

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am a graphic designer and a journeyman pressman, lets decide on what we would like bookmarks to say for epilepsy awareness and I can create it and print it. Some of us have local parades around Thanksgiving or other local events that would be a perfect opportunity to attach the free bookmark to an attention getter like a piece of candy, and then hand them out. Small voices en masse being heard.

Edit: I split these posts off of the http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f27/media-coverage-reflecting-epilepsy-3933/ thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a graphic designer and a journeyman pressman, lets decide on what we would like bookmarks to say for epilepsy awareness and I can create it and print it. Some of us have local parades around Thanksgiving or other local events that would be a perfect opportunity to attach the free bookmark to an attention getter like a piece of candy, and then hand them out. Small voices en masse being heard.

Mr. B???

See The Above Quote??

:ponder:

... lets decide on what we would like bookmarks to say for epilepsy awareness and I can create it and print it. ...

Are you saying that you can create (ie. print) the bookmarks for free?

Ideas off the top of my head:
  • In a room of 100 people, odds are at least 2 have epilepsy.
  • There are many different types of seizures. Some look like daydreaming and others involve strange tastes or smells.
  • Never stick anything in the mouth of someone having a seizure. They *cannot* swallow their tongue, but they can break their teeth or choke on something you stick an object in their mouth.

You are welcome to use the CWE logo (top left of the page) if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Addendum ...

I want to revise Bernard's posting on the seizures:

• There many types of seizures, and new ones are
    being discovered. They range from as simple as staring
    or daydreaming to picking on clothes to strange tastes
    or smell. Not all seizures result in convulsions.

And I want to add to that list:

• There are famous people and athletics who have Epilepsy,
    can you spot them?
  • Epilepsy is a medical condition; not a disease and is not
    contagious, you cannot 'catch it'.
  • Learn more about Epilepsy by visiting www.coping-with-epilepsy.com

If you can print the Logo in the Front,
with the info on the back-side - that would
be absolutely awesome!

(You can be assured I'll be in the CWE Store and
buying them to give them away in November! *grins*)

:D

Yeppers...I can create them and print them. Keep in mind the small space that is on a bookmark (but also the front and back can be used), so we would want to get the most info we could in as few words as we could, making sure to get our point across.

Great! A useful prize with educational material is a very good idea. I'm constantly bombarded with those name labels. I could cover my walls with them and still have a bunch left to mail my bills.

When I was a little kid, I received a few prizes from volunteers. I still have them today. Just one person who is reached during your mission can spread the word to many others. The 'prizes' were not epilepsy related, but I knew somebody had a passion to spread a message to others.

Yeppers...I can create them and print them. Keep in mind the small space that is on a bookmark (but also the front and back can be used), so we would want to get the most info we could in as few words as we could, making sure to get our point across.

YUP! That's clearly understood!

Print out the list of what you have in
mind as brief as you can... and post it
and see what the "Boss" says?

:D

PS: I'm about ready to BUY! LOL!

Then, I would suggest just some pointed questions to pique curiosity and make people think:
  • What are the odds that one of your neighbors has epilepsy?
  • Can you recognize a simple partial seizure?
  • Can you recognize a complex partial seizure?
  • Do you know what to do if someone has a seizure in front of you?

EpilepsyBookmark.jpg

Here is a rough draft of what I have come up with so far for the front (thanks Brain :D). The actual product will be 2" x 6". Feel free to make suggestions on any changes or additions that you would like.The back will have the logo on it and the questions that Mr. B posted, along with a short dialog of the answers to those questions and is still a work in progress.

No, I

was simply stating that I like the bookmark.......it wasn't intended to be funny.

LOVE IT! What's the front side
look like??? I gotta see the CWE!

:::: drooling :::::

Oh wait, that was the front side? I'm confused?
Which end is up?

:huh:

:roflmao:

Last edited:
What are the odds that your neighbor has epilepsy?:ponder:

Epilepsy affects roughly 2% of the population, so the odds are 1 out of every 50 neighbors has a seizure disorder (assuming the odds are evenly distributed). If every house in your neighborhood is a typical 4 person nuclear family (mom, dad, 2 kids), that's one person per every 13 houses. Or one person on every street that is at least 6 houses per side in length. Kind of puts it in perspective when folks consider how many neighbors could have it.

Back
Top Bottom