Pyschogenic vs physiological, who has been down both paths?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LJ-Bain

New
Reaction score
Having been diagnosed as psychogenic for four years and then to be considered physiological now made me really realize the way you are treated differently in the medical field.
Psychogenic seizures feel real to those who have them and they cannot help the fact that they have them. Yet there are many in the medical field who get angry with you, nurses become indifferent and make you feel like you are wasting their time. There are some doctors who do treat you with respect and then I did have some neurologists basically wipe their hands clean of me and not even point in the direction of additional help.
I was ashamed and kept my seizures secret as much as possible.
It was my dirty little secret.

Now that they are being considered physiological I feel I can tell people now and explain to them when my seizures occur. Doctors actually listen. I feel there is hope for my future whereas before I felt so alone and hopeless.
I don't know where the future lies regarding my seizures...they are decreasing and I do hope they will one day become totally controlled but if not, I'll deal with that too.

I wonder just how many people out there with physiological seizures are being accused of psychological seizures. I know that there is no shame in either. They are both real. I just wish there was a better way of determining the difference so people could get the treatment they really need.

Just putting this out there.

I've been down psychogenic and I can't say i was very pleased with any doctor that came up with that answer. Because I knew it wasn't mental, I was thinking just fine and I had had more stress in the past that never caused seizures. Not to mention I've seen a therapist 18/23 years of my life. Not happening. And we proved all of them right when the MRI came back positive with a physical cause. :)

Sweet justice, isn't it? Well, except for the fact that the diagnosis is not so fabulous.
At least it's nice knowing it wasn't something you were fabricating.

Rofl, yeah I know what you meant. It was a kill joy to receive the news too :D And it was was sweet justice. I can't wait 'til I can rub this in their faces.
Look at this ya'll, a person with no college degree and only self taught by the internet info on medical terminology was able to pin point and locate the cause of her seizures. Where all you neurologists, with your fancy framed degree's and big words, couldn't use their brains to figure out they needed to lower the MRI machine from her head to her neck.

But I suppose that's how it all starts right? Lorenzo's dad was an uneducated simple man that researched everything he could and ended up making Lorenzo's oil, which is used on hundreds of people. That man (and the movie they based of him) are my inspiration.

Back
Top Bottom