Q: Epilepsy episodes have become infrequent with age. What does this mean?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

crashbang

New
Reaction score
Yay!
Like so many others have probably said I am so glad to have found this forum!
Although none of my symptoms and am now learning episodes have severly affected my life it is so good to finally have some answers, a word for this, a description and or something that can be articulated by others!

I have so much to learn and feel a little overwhelmed at the moment.
I do have a question though. These symptoms/episodes have diminished over the years. I do not have them very often. What does this mean for me?
Can epilepsy resolve itself? Geez I feel so ignorant.

I am not 100% sure I have temporal lobe epilepsy as I am at the beginning of all this. But because I take stimulants (Adderall) I need to at least investigate the possibility.

Below is a brief footnote version of my symptoms.

Ahh! again..so glad I found this forum.

I am just putting the pieces together in the last 6 months. I did not think to ever research these kinds of things until I started taking Adderall and on a hunch decided to run a search on my sleep and sensory problems. This has now lead me here.

I have suffered (not really suffered as endured, or dealt with) such things as sleep paralysis and restless leg syndrome since I was a child. I have been always able to lucid dream.
In concert with that I have on and off experienced (although diminished as an adult) times where I would have two specific kinds of episodes happen.

1. Always happening around bed time. Not sure because of stress or whatnot but as I would lay down for bed I would hear my own inner monologue litterally screaming at me. Not talking to me, but basically my thoughts being amplified to such heights I would get to the point of crying. As this was happening I would go into a trance like state (zoning out) although still aware. My bedroom walls would feel as if they were moving in towards me and then out and expanding. I would feel "tiny" haha that's the only way to describe it. As if I were sinking into my bed. I would not be able to sleep.

2. This has happened all my life and still happens to this day, although infrequently. I will be sitting or in the bath or listening to conversation or at the computer, ect. Out of no where I will zone out. A buzzing sound will start to occur in my ears. Sounds, people talking sound far away and a little delayed or slow. I will not be able to really function while this is happening, just kind of sit there. I am fully aware however and to the average person I think I look like I am not paying attn or staring at them but not listening. suddenly, like a snap of the fingers it just stops and time/sounds speed right back to normal and the episode is over. This whole thing usually last anywhere for 20 seconds to a 1minute.

* I have a bad memory only with recalling what time/date things happened. Not the memory itself, just the time. It takes alot of effort to recount when

Last edited:
Hi crashbang --

I responded to your question in your other thread, hope it was helpful. Welcome to the site, there's so much good here, it's a superb source of information, support, commiseration and good cheer...

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom