Question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been looking this up and just cannot find an answer to my question.

So when I was younger, I had a seizure where I was awake and aware, but everything sounded distant and kind of...muffled? I remember my sister and baby brother were playing together behind me on the play mat, and the sound of them was the first thing that became muffled and just weird sounding. I remember getting my mom's attention somehow, I don't remember as I was very young, and I tried to tell her "I feel weird." But instead I ended up saying "I look weird." When I could've sworn what I originally was intending to say was what I said.

I don't remember much after that except that after it was over, she taught me some ASL sign to help let her know if it was happening again.

I don't necessarily NEED to know what this is called, but I'd really like to know as it's one of the only seizures I remember having that was like this.

Thanks for reading and if you do end up answering, thanks for that too.

-Zee

Sounds like a simple or complex partial seizure. (Technically they're now called "focal onset aware seizures" and "focal impaired awareness seizures" according to the latest classification schemes, but that's way too long!). Complex partials are usually relatively brief, and involve partially impaired consciousness or awareness, including cognitive or speech difficulties such as you describe.

More about them here:
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/focal-onset-aware-seizures-aka-simple-partial-seizures
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types...areness-seizures-aka-complex-partial-seizures

I agree with Nak for the most part. A "simple partial" is the best way to explain your consciousness. In some situations I've been in, I felt the onset of a seizure and my ability to speak has been altered in a way slightly different than yours. That is what I would call it.

Hi MCmaniac767,

What you have described sounds a lot like what happens to me and my Epileptologist told me it was a simple partial seizure that is leading into a complex partial seizure. I will hear odd sounds or try and talk but the words won't come out of my mouth after that I blank out for a short time and the seizure is over. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Agree that it sounds like a partial to me. I have complex partials which act as an aura for me, and they are like I can't comprehend things being said right to me. Its as if I am about 30 seconds behind everyone else.

I am present, but is someone speaks to me and asks me a question, I just stare at them and then suddenly I realize what is going on and try to answer them a minute later.

Back
Top Bottom