Question about auras

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

antecee

New
Reaction score
Does anyone else have auras that last three or four days? I go into what I call my "pre-seizure mode". I feel like I'm cut off from reality and I experience a strong sense of dread. The whole time I'm begging my brain, "Please no seizures, please no seizures...." I'm able to function, but not fully. I usually then have a cluster of breakthroughs (my seizures always come in threes) but the aura continues even after the seizures. Thankfully, there are times I've managed to get through the three days of aura without a seizure (usually by popping an extra lamotrigine), but it is still a very strange and unsettling feeling.

The type of auras you are describing sound very similar to the type I have, and they usually come in clusters for a few days, but they never last for the FULL 3-4 days. Usually I'll have several starting in the morning, but I'll have periods where I feel "normal." Occasionally I'll get auras that last longer (1-2 hours), and usually that's when I'm scared I'm going to have a TC seizure.

Last year I kept have auras/deja vu for days, they were small compare to the ones I've had before. I told my Neur. about them, she told me these are seizures (and someone on this forum said the samething). You might need to have your meds. adjusted (up) or have another one added. It has always taken 2 meds. to keep my seizures under control.

I was taking to much B-12 at the time all those auras kept happening all day long.

Yes your auras sound like mine,but like RunningGirl,ive never experienced auras lasting 3 to 4 days.2 full days has been the longest,and i honestly have no idea why.It resulted in a paticulary violent tonic.Usually they are a couple hours and i know whats coming next,a nice tonic!
Sorry i cant be off more help.

It's seems so odd to take comfort in the fact that others have had similar experiences to me. I guess what's strange about it is that I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, and I am so sorry we have all experienced this. It's one of those good/bad things - good to know I'm not alone; bad because nobody should have to go through this.

Jyearta, I never even thought about the possibility of this kind of aura actually being a seizure. I guess it's because I am able to function somewhat normally. My doctor did increase my dose of Lamictal (damned if can remember the name of the generic, which is what I'm actually on) recently and I've had no auras (or seizures) since then. Let's hope that does the trick.

Thank you all for your responses. I am so grateful to have found this website.

I have it usually a couple hours before a seizure comes on... and right before it happens, I feel like the room got really bright, and i can see but can't speak... i wish i could pull myself out of it.

mine are the same! altho i not been dignosed with just having pariel sezures i know it is! its horrible it feels like a big wave through ur brain where 1 min ur ok next u feel like ur going to have tonic clonic..... horrible

Does anyone else have auras that last three or four days? I go into what I call my "pre-seizure mode". I feel like I'm cut off from reality and I experience a strong sense of dread. The whole time I'm begging my brain, "Please no seizures, please no seizures...." I'm able to function, but not fully. I usually then have a cluster of breakthroughs (my seizures always come in threes) but the aura continues even after the seizures. Thankfully, there are times I've managed to get through the three days of aura without a seizure (usually by popping an extra lamotrigine), but it is still a very strange and unsettling feeling.

I had a tonic-clonic this weekend and felt weird Friday night, well, up until still now really.
A big one for me are ideas of reference that I was including under the broad term "paranoia" incorrectly. I'd say paranoia (not to say I don't know what paranoia is) is more associated with fear, whereas my ideas of reference (or delusions? idk) fuel a conspiracy thought process. The conspiracy thoughts aren't necessarily bad themselves entirely (because I have done nothing I need to be afraid of) - but the emotional pressure is what sucks. And it is persistent and ever-present-omnipotent when it's here, and afterward I know it is not natural but there is not anything I can do about it while it is taking place, for one because it is enveloping. It is in my brain and it is affecting my being.

lights or auras.......................

I have auras also, mine don't last days, but are usually before a seizure, or what I think is a seizure coming on, I do exactly the same, try and talk myself out of it, but it's no help. When I finally realize whats up, my heart is racing, I am scared to death, I can hear my heart beating, i'm sweating like i'm in the shower, my feet and legs cramp up, sometimes my arms and hands are numb, takes me a bit to figure out where I am at, for me it's usually gran mals, sometimes I get up during a seizure, I usually will fall if I do get up, sometimes if i remember it's like it's all a dream, until i get up with bruises, a friend recently was staying with me who was on a business trip, he said at night i am possessed..........................i told him no not really, its a seizure disorder

Since my seizures seem to be partially hormonal I have spans of days when I am more vulnerable and experience more auras and seizures. I track all of this and graph it which really helps.

My doctor(s) like the graphs so I take updated ones each visit and one dr even asked me to add a certain formatting style so he could use the graphs more effectively.

ok now I'm curious about your graph formatting style!

Since my seizures seem to be partially hormonal I have spans of days when I am more vulnerable and experience more auras and seizures. I track all of this and graph it which really helps.

My doctor(s) like the graphs so I take updated ones each visit and one dr even asked me to add a certain formatting style so he could use the graphs more effectively.

ok now I'm curious about your graph formatting style!

lol, you sound amused! It was a comparison of hormones and seizures. He said I like this one but see if you can make the bar graph appear more 3d-ish.

I saved the form and graph templates (excel & pdfs) and will be adding them to my website under the forms link....

...when I have another run of feeling good days.

Back
Top Bottom