question about the new GENERIC Keppra (Levetiracetam)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BuckeyeFan

Grandpa
Reaction score
I just found out yesterday that the USA has approved a generic form of Keppra. I found out when the price of my brand name skyrocketed and the generic was offered for $18 (90 day supply). The brand name is now about $250, where I used to pay $135.

So this is good news IF the generic is consistent and effective. It is bad news if I need to stay on the brand name. I will find out more on Thursday when I meet with my Neuro.

This makes me nervous as I just had my Keppra adjusted a few months ago and I am just now going through a reduction in my Dilantin because it was in the toxic range.

Has anyone else had any experience yet with the generic Keppra? The FDA just approved it on Nov. 1st in the USA. From what I saw on-line, it has been available in Canada for a couple of years.

Answers anyone???

I just got my Keppra refilled and notice the pharmcy changed my RX to the generic...I have only been taking it since Friday and haven't noticed any change, but I am nervous. I was surprised that the pharmcy changed to the generic without talking to me about it.

My pharmacy just did the same thing to me yesterday when I picked up my keppra refill too, and didn't mention a word to me. I'll start taking it in a couple days, and am a bit nervous, since I just switched to Keppra about 3 months ago and am still dealing with an adjustment to that and trying to get the levels right. Any info has on the generic keppra would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. Anne

Yep, Mylan to the rescue. I've been on the generic for a couple weeks. I haven't noticed any side effects other than the reported side effects brandname Keppra.

My Neuro told me that in my case, there was no added effect between the 2K mg dose per day and a 1K mg per day dose. He's going to let me ramp down to a target dose of 1K mg per day. He said the side effects should go away. But he mentioned that I'm not supposed to drive during the first six months of him moving my meds. I chuckled in his face. That's exactly what I've been worrying about this for the last 5 months.

Happened just the way I feared...

I could shutup & continue the 2K mg a day for the rest of my life and just deal with the side effects, or go down for another six months without driving. Not that great of a choice, either way...

Hey Buckeye,

I'm taking the generic. I can't afford Name Brand Keppra anymore because insurance won't pay.

So far, so good. I've almost finished a whole bottle and haven't noticed any increase in my seizures. (I still have them daily like I always have, but they haven't skyrocketed to any "abnormal" amount).

I wish us all luck! :e:

-Julie

I didn't know there was a generic available...gonna have to talk to my pharmacy cause the brand name stuff is costing me a fortune! I recently switched to the generic lamictal & haven't had any problems. :) Hopefull, this'll be a good thing for me (and you guys too)

Last edited:
I just got my Keppra refilled and notice the pharmcy changed my RX to the generic...I have only been taking it since Friday and haven't noticed any change, but I am nervous. I was surprised that the pharmcy changed to the generic without talking to me about it.

I am somewhat surprised that your Pharmacy didn't even talk to you about it. My Pharmacy even called my Neuro to make sure it was OK for me to switch. I wouldn't trade this local store for anything.

Please update each other on this thread (good or bad) over the next few months. I hope this works for everyone!!!

Justin - what a hard decision to make. Mine was lowered from 2000 to 1500 a few months back with no issues. My doctor did not give me any other driving restrictions besides the normal "use common sense". That may be the state to state difference.

Question: How much of larger dosages of medications are just sluffed of into the cleansing process - urine - for a minor example - excess Vitamin C is removed to waste products and can cause loose stools. How can a doctor be sure that having 3-4 meds with the same purpose and HUGE doses (now I am a HUGE person) are right - duH?? I reckon if the seizures stop the dosage is right?? Ok, I reckon I answered my own question.

I take Keppra, Neurontin (started for neuropathy pain), Klonapin(started for PTSD/Anxiety disorder), Triliptal, all NOW for seizures - so far about 2 1/2 wks free, hoping for forever. The last many months it has been once a month and a big ordeal each time. Stress is DEFINATELY NOT triggering mine or else the last 2 days or is it 3 now would have DEFINATELY triggered mine.

THanks.

I had my Keppra refilled 2 weeks ago and the pharmacist did tell me that it was generic, but I told her we needed to check with my neurologist before taking the generic. My dr. contacted the pharmacy and ok'd it with them. I've taken the generic now for 2 weeks, and so far, so good. I haven't noticed any difference, yet.

Cindy

I was glad I saw this thread before I had my daughter's keppra filled as I didn't realize Keppra had a new generic. Her doc just sent a new script. I noticed he didn't write a "dispense as written". That automatically allows a generic. So when I filled it today, I brought it to the pharmacist's attention. He said that they are very careful about going from brand to generic or generic to brand with AED's. He agreed to keep her Keppra the brand this time around and would call the neuro about it.

I guess in most cases generics are just fine, but sometimes in AED's and cardiac meds (not that Keppra is used for the heart) generics can change the serum levels just enough to make a difference.

Update

Late last week, my Neuro decided that due to several issues I have been experiencing, that I would start to be weaned off Keppra and started on Lamictal.

I hope this generic works well for everyone. It is a great savings IF it works like the brand name.

I am posting another thread about my med change.

Just to let everyone know who has switched to generic AED's, my Dr informed me at my appt last month when I told him that the generic Lamictal wasn't working for me he said that starting next month (Jan 2009) the drug companies who make the generics will have free reign over all of the generics out there.
What does this mean to you?
It means that because the generics are made cheaper they don't have the same formlation, (same ingredients but not always the same formulation) and because the drugs are generics pharmacies don't have to get them from the same drug companies every month. This could totally screw up your levels.

I'm no dr and I'm not saying that generics won't be good for you, just saying that your pharm. could get the generics from company "x" one month cuz they're cheaper than comp. "a" but the next month company "z" may be cheaper than comp. "x" was last month etc. etc. and we all know how import it is to keep our levels even.

It means that because the generics are made cheaper they don't have the same formlation, (same ingredients but not always the same formulation) and because the drugs are generics pharmacies don't have to get them from the same drug companies every month. This could totally screw up your levels.

Right...
The "active" ingredients are the same and in the same quantities (mg), but the "inactive" ingredients (binding agents and such) may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. The reason the name brand drugs are more expensive is because they receive a patent on the drug that prevents any other company from producing the product until the patent expires. (They can get away with inflated prices due to supply and demand--you need it, they got it, and no one else can make it.)

When the patent expires, other manufacturers can begin producing the drug (active ingredient)....Think ibuprophen: Brand names include Motrin, Advil, etc. The active ingredient is the same, just the inactive incredients are different.

As far as the parmacies switching between manufacturers: that could possibly cause a problem for some people...and pharmacies do shop for bargains among the generics. The best thing to do is ask your doc... Sometimes a pharmacy will agree to buy a particular manufacturer's generic formulation regularly. If you can find one that will agree to that & you are able to tolerate that particular chemical combo, the generic might be the way to go. For me, I'll try the generic...

Not to be jumping on the band wagon of the big name brands, but much of their high prices also goes to pay for the development of the medication. It also has to pay for the research into all the other drugs that never make it to market for various reasons. They also pay for all of the testing to make sure they are safe for usage and pay the liability for those disastorous cases when they do not.

The cost to produce most meds is pretty cheap.

Again, not defending outrageous profits, just offering up my two cents.:twocents:

Another example is the Lamictal that I am starting. The generics don't make a starter pack to ramp up your levels. This saves them lots of cost and doesn't expose them to as much liability for new users.

Last edited:
Hello, BuckeyeFan! I just started the generic Keppra about 2 weeks ago. I have already had a seizure, but that was normal before the generic. I'm going to give it a month or two to see how it does for me. Saves me a ton of money, but is it worth it if it doesn't work out for me in the end?

The name brand cost me $25 with my insurance, the generic is $15 with my insurance. I think I had a seizure in my sleep this weekend....which makes me wonder if the change to generic might have triggered it. I am suppose to see Doc next month, but I called and got on call list in case he has a cancellation to discuss this with him.
Saving $10 isn't worth it if I am going to have seizures!

Glad to have found this forum! I had to switch to the generic form of Keppra yesterday after learning that my insurance company had jacked up the price of the name brand Keppra since there's now a generic available. Hope the generic form works well for me . . . .

Erica

Hi Erica! Welcome to CWE. :)

your predicament is what really steams my biscuits. Personally, I don't think that any of us should have to go on a generic just because our insurance companies would save a little money. I hope all goes well for you as you try the generic.

Also, on a side note, feel free to ask questions, chime in, or vent in the padded room as needed. :)

Hi,

I've been taking generic Keppra for about 10 months. The plan is to lower my Dilantin. I went from 300mg daily to 200mg daily for a month then down to 100mg daily. I had a seizure. My generic Keppra was upped from 500mg twice daily to 1000mg twice daily. I have now gone 9 months seizure free. The plan is to start reducing the Dilantin again, from 200mg daily really slowly.

My neurologist feels that there are fewer side effects with Keppra and its generic. It's still very expensive, but if I remain seizure free, get some of my memory back, reduce the risk of mineral depletion in my bones etc. It will be worth it!

I just picked up my Keppra yesterday. My pharmacy changed providers and its all generic meds now. They did talk to me about it. Not much I am afraid, but it makes me feel better that you all are ok on yours. That way I feel good about changing mine. I do see my Dr. this month so I will talk to him to.

Back
Top Bottom