question about the new GENERIC Keppra (Levetiracetam)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I talked to my sister, who works in a pharmacy. She said that when the pharmacists fill a drug with a generic, the bottle has to have the manufacturer's name on it. She told me that you can request that your med be made by the same manufacturer each time. But she said you may have to wait for it to be ordered and you have to remind the pharmacy each time. I don't know if this is the case for every pharmacy, but it is for Giant Food pharmacy.

That's good. I have done that before at Safeway.I might just have to change pharmacies now.I hate to. They got bought out. I have been going there since before I was pregnant with alex.That's about 12 years now.

Ok, I spoke too soon.
I asked my neuro yesterday to be taken off the generic Keppra because now I am experiencing more headaches, sleepiness and shortness of breath. She agreed to put me back on the original Keppra, but stated that the shortness of breath was more likely due to a heart problem or a lung infection. I don't think so!! Sounds more like a reaction to an ingredient in the med to me. I know from past experience(s) how my body responds. I've had too many problems with medications for epilepsy and other conditions, so I've decided that I'll pay a few more $$ for the non generic from now on, at least when it comes to AEDs.

Cindy

I'll pay a few more $$ for the non generic from now on, at least when it comes to AEDs.

Hi all,

I am taking branded Keppra and I was wondering what is the cost differences? It is inside what I think my insurance will accept to pay 159$/30 days but I am just filling out my first reimbursement form, so I do not really know.

Cheers,

Philippe

Ok, I spoke too soon.
I asked my neuro yesterday to be taken off the generic Keppra because now I am experiencing more headaches, sleepiness and shortness of breath. She agreed to put me back on the original Keppra, but stated that the shortness of breath was more likely due to a heart problem or a lung infection. I don't think so!! Sounds more like a reaction to an ingredient in the med to me. I know from past experience(s) how my body responds. I've had too many problems with medications for epilepsy and other conditions, so I've decided that I'll pay a few more $$ for the non generic from now on, at least when it comes to AEDs.

Cindy

Ya know, I never realized that about more headaches when I was on the generic Lamictal. I would always have really bad headaches all day long. They started in the summer which is when I switched to the generic Lamictal but I never really thought about it, I always blamed it on the heat but now this month when I went back to the brand name (my seizures were way out of control on the generic vs the brand name) I haven't had one bad headache since I started the brand name.
My honest opinion on generics is cheaply made drugs are like cheaply made clothes. They wear out (wear you/me out) and eventually you go back to the better quality that is worth the $ for the quality materials/ingredients it is made from.

Just talked to my nurse, she said migraines on the generic Keppra is a big problem with a lot of the patients. I am switching back...she said it will take awhile to get the crap out of my system.

I have had seizures since 1970, and am presently taking Dilantin, Keppra and Klonopin. I have taken almost every other AED, including several no longer on the market.

I seem to be very sensitive to drug changes. Dilantin is known as a medication that has a wide "bioavailability." That is, different people taking exactly the same brand of medication will need to take different amounts, because their bodies process it differently. This also holds true for different manufacturers. The fillers they put in for processing apparently have at least some effect.

About 2 years ago the original manufacturer of Dilantin Kapseals decided not to manufacture the 100 mg product anymore, and I was forced to change to generic phenytoin-sodium. Fortunately my HMO's pharmacy decided to choose one generic vendor and stick with them. I had about 2 months or so of playing with drug levels until I was stable again. Fortunately, my doctor understands that after this amount of time on meds, I can do a bit of adjusting by myself as I feel side-effects. Fortunately there is also a blood test for serum dilantin, and I basically adjust until my tests show I am in the therapeutic range. Then I tell the doctor what the new adjusted level is. I also take 30 mg name-brand Kapseals (which were not discontinued) and that allows me to tune my serum dilantin level.

I understand that there is a blood test for Keppra level, but that there is no recognized theraputic level. I suggest that anyone having their meds changed get a blood test first (assuming there is one for the specific med) and then after changing, get another test once the new medication has had time to stabilize. If you are going to Keppra generic, you would then want to adjust, with doctor's approval, to get to the same number that was working for you previously.

I was set to go on generic Keppra, and talked my doctor into writing a prescription for the name-brand. She said that she had not heard of any issues in the few weeks that the HMO has been using it, but recognized that I seem to be very sensitive to changes, and together we decided i didn't need to go through the several weeks hassle of changing. Especially because the name-brand was still available.

Just to complete the thoughts, I also had problems with Klonopin, but found a generic that worked the same for me at the same dosage. The pharmacist agreed to special order that brand whenever I brought in my prescription. It took a day or two longer to get the meds, but was a good choice. It may not work for everyone.

Thanks for listening. Good Health.

I really don't have a problem with generic Keppra. No head aches. Now I was on brand and I think there was an adjustment for me. But I am better now. Now if it were my son, he would have brand.

I have been on almost every single anti-seizure medication there is except 3,
I have been on both generic and brand name, and each med works differently for each person, My system rejected about half of the anti-seizure medications, Keppra I take
the brand name 500mg 4 pills 2x's aday, and more.

CHEROKEE09

Keppra / Levetiracetam

Keppra / Levetiracetam does not like me!

Keppra is the brand name
Levetiracetam is the generic name

Well, I guess I'll be seeing how the generic goes for me. I just had my second visit with the neurologist, and despite the normal EEG, given my continued ongoing olfactory burning smell symptoms, he's pretty sure I'm having simple partials. He's ordered further MRI variant studies (intracranial ones MRA/MRV) and he has started me on Keppra. My pharmacy filled the generic which I expected. Neuro is holding off on a "formal" diagnosis until he's seen me more than twice and has time to look at the additional studies he's ordered.
(but he did write SPS on that script, so it sure is headed in that direction, and well, I'm now on an AED)
Anyway-since this is my first AED, I have nothing to compare it against, but with medication for other issues, I'm on generics with no problem.

Generic Keppra problems

I just switched to the generic form of Keppra (due to insurance, like most) I haven't experienced any seizures but I think I am having an allergic reaction. Has anyone else experienced this? Such as, itching hands, ears, eyes and throat. This happened with my Lamictal (the brand version, now on generic) at the time I was taking 300mg twice a day, so three 100mg pills. My docter then gave me a prescription for 200mg pills so that I would be taking a 200mg and a 100mg at each dosing. I then experienced an allergic reation to the blue dye in the 200mg pills and have to stick w/the 100mg, they are orange and I have no side affects (brand or generic) I haven't talked to my Dr yet to see if this could be the case but I'm hoping that if it is he can get my insurance to pay for the brand name version. Does this disorder suck or what?!!

Renee,
contact your doctor right away. I had migraine and possible nonturnal seizure on the generic...but everyone's reaction is different and it sounds like you are having an allergeric reaction. Your doc can notify your insurance company that you can not take the generic and get you a brand replacement right away (I had to do this too). Also be sure your doc notes your file for Brand Name only for your Rxs so you don't have this happen again
You are sooooo right...E does SUCK!

Thank you jgbmartin. I will call my doc immediately, I hope that will convince the ins co. I must have the brand name or I will be paying $400+ per month!

renee33, I take both 400mg of lamicatal and 1000mg of generic keppra 2x a day for about a month now, just switched to generic. I have had itchiness too-mainly eyes, don't think allergic though. If you are having an allergic reaction to the meds I don't see why your insurance would not pay for brand name if the doctor specifies. And yes brand names cost a pretty penny w/o insurance. All the best. Also quick question, I found that being on both these meds my hands twitch more. Makes it hard to write at times. Have you experienced this? And I totally agree that seizures suck!

hollygirl, I do twitch sometimes but I have had that even before the Keppra. My Doc is poentially switching me onto a drug that will be approved around June. I can't remember what it's called, but it will be monotherapy instead of taking both lamictal & keppra which would be nice. Have you noticed weight gain with the combination of these two drugs? I can't seem to lose much no matter how I try.

I'm on 3000mg of Keppra and my neuro won't switch me because I've been on it a year. Frankly, knowing that generics can have a 20% swing in quality control I'm not sure I disagree with him. My quarterly cost with insurance is $100 vs. $25 if I switched. I think I'll eat the extra cost for now. If I were on a lower dosage I might feel differently, but a 600mg swing seems significant to me.

I take 3000mg keppra daily, have been for about 6 yrs. I switched to generic less than a year ago, haven't had any problems.

Same thing with lamictal, except I've been taking lamictal for 15+ yrs. I haven't had any problems with generic lamictal either.

Everyone reacts to generics differently though.

Sticking with branded Keppra worth the $$$

doclotus....stick with your doctor's advice on changing from branded to generic Keppra. Your best bet in managing your expense is to have your Keppra dispensed from a mail-order pharmacy that's connected to your healthplan. Suggest you check with your Pharmacy Benefit Manager as well to ask about pricing and coverage options, including any exception processes your doctor can initiate to help as well.

For those of you that are on multiple medications, I would suggest you check out what your Medication Therapy Management benefits are. This is where a pharmacist, not a doctor, examines all the medications your taking and makes recommendations back to your doctor.

I am only taking one medication, but I see several on this discussion thread are on multiple medications, both branded and generic. For those of you in this situation, there are "distinct" differences between branded and generic drugs and combinations of both can cause negative clinical outcomes.

Last words of wisdom from someone who works in healthcare...do your research, ask questions and push back if it doesn't pass the smell test.

Yeah, ironically I work for one of the big pharma companies. Both of my medications are mail order.

Back
Top Bottom