Question for the smartest people I know...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Aicila

New
Reaction score
I have had some issues lately with my health... sleep issues, migraines, diarhea, vommiting, dry skin, double vision, numbness...

Some of which I have been dealing with for a while, some of which I have been dealing with more recently after a medication snafu that I have been trying to get under control.

So I had to go see my PCM for a skin situation on my hands yesterday. About a month ago I was in his office for some blood work that ended me up in the ER, long story but my potassium was rock bottom low. Yesterday he wanted me to get it checked again since I was already there for my hands, and lo and behold it was low again... Not like, "hmm, thats a little low, you should go eat a banana", but "if it has been that low consistantly for the past month and stays that way for much longer it could be life threathening..." So he has ordered a potassium supplement for a week and another test for a follow up. I have done a little reading on it and it seems it could be a culprit for some of the issues I have thought were related to medications or maybe were from medications, but could have been dealt with if I just had increased my potassium... Should this have been something my nuero checked? I am on Vimpat, Lamictal, and Topamax. I have been doing a little reading, but can't find if these all effect potassium or not. I have read that some say Vimpat does. If potassium fixes all of what is going on with me, I am going to kick my nuero in the nuts...

Would that be wrong of me? Is it their job to know these things?

You might or might not be able to pin this on the neuro. Of the three seizure meds you're on, Topamax would be the most likely culprit. It's known to cause lower potassium levels, which in turn causes paresthesia (numbness and tingling). If you reported that side effect to the neuro, he most likely would have recommended a potassium supplement to help.

Diarrhea and vomiting can also cause potassium deficiency, so it can be very tricky to sort out what is causal, what is correlative, and what is merely coincidence. Do you have any other health issues (such as hyperthyroidism), or take any other meds (such as insulin or diuretics) that might be playing a role?

Have you started taking the potassium supplement? Is it helping? I hope you get your health back on track soon.

I just started the supplement tonight so I haven't had a chance to notice any change yet. Any idea how fast this will work? I'm kind of hoping immediately... I did tell the doc about the numbness and tingling a long time ago. But he didn't do anything. He is a decent doc, but if this potassium thing fixes what is going on with me right now... He is getting kicked, maybe not literally, but in my mind... Grrrrr

Since your potassium is low, it's very important that your doctor test you regularly for your potassium. My cousin has low potassium problems and I think her meds are to blame too cause she takes meds for her arthritus and it tends to lower her levels. Make sure your levels don't go too high either, that's just as dangerous.

Stay hydrated cause you don't want kidney failure either. I've had kidney failure 3 times and second time was because of dehydration AND a potassium level so high it should have killed me but luckily it didn't. I was taking potassium supplements too at the time but I think it was just high cause of the kidney failure.

I don't take supplements anymore and my levels stay steady luckily but yes medicines can deplete your potassium levels. Eat bananas, drink orange juice and what not and that should help.

Where is the numbness and tingling? I have Neuropathy so I have that and my foot vibrates but yours is for different reasons I'm sure. Bring that up to the doctor again.

The size of the supplement and the severity of your deficiency play a role in how rapidly you will improve. The good thing is that potassium reaches the bloodstream quickly, but it may take a while to build up a reserve in you system. Make sure to avoid diuretics and excessive sodium. You should notice a difference in a few days.

The supplement is 20 meq, not sure what that means, but it is a horse pill. Extremely hard to swallow, but I will do what I gotta do! I unfortunately can not eat banana's though. I will do banana dances, but the smell makes me gag, and the taste will make me vomit. I haven't been able to eat them my entire life. Orange juice I can do. The numbness and tingling is in my hands, feet and mouth. My legs and arms go numb very easy when I lay on them wrong or bend them for too long, I just assumed I have poor circulation. I have extremely low blood pressure. I always have. It never gets above 100/70 but usually stays in the 90/60 range. I have been checked several times for thyroid problems but they have always come back normal. I dont take any diuretics or insulin. My potassium levels a month ago were at 2.5, and the other day were at 2.7. I haven't died yet so thats a good sign! :banana:

I haven't been checked recently, but probably about 8 months ago and it came back normal. Should I ask to get checked again?

The supplement is 20 meq, not sure what that means,

meq looks like it means "milliequivalents" meaning that when a dosage amount is so small they just use "meq" as a standard, instead of, say, saying 100 Tbsp. of banana :banana:

Milk also has a lot of potassium, you can get it from that and if you look it up, you'll find other foods besides bananas for potassium. Limit your intake of cafeinne, that can contribute to dehydration if you're already dehydrated and drink water, lots of it. If you don't like plain water, try Life water or vitamin water, has nutrients and tastes good once you find your flavor.

Back
Top Bottom