Question?When or if a doc can

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Make you take a urine test before he will write precription refills when you need these.

A friend of my husbands, goes to the same place I do to see my pysch and counselor. (In additon to my E, I also have Bi-polar, depression, panic attacks, PDSD and without one of my meds prescribed my the pysch I cannot sleep well at all).

Ok, my husbands friend went to see this pysch yesterday and he would not write him his prescritions he seriously has to have unless he would take a urine test to make sure he wasn't taking any basically illegal drugs or ones not prescribed to him by a doc. my husband's friend told this doc off and is filing complaint and any thing else he can do.

I need a refill called in on my trazadone, which is the one that was mainly prescribed to me to help me able to sleep. The last pysch that was there wasn't very good at all he was supposed to call in my trazadone and did not, because, believe or not, he couldn't find a prescription pad for the office I see him, his main office is in another city, so he would only write me the prescription for the one I was out of and was supposed to call in the other one and he did not.

It's mainly not being asked to take this urine test, it is the reason why this so called pysch is telling you you have to before he will prescribe you your meds, I am on alot of meds, I have my own little pharmacy, and all of them are prescribed to me for several health problems. I already have to take 15 pills a day, and I have 4 other prescription drugs that I take as needed. So for one thing I am not a drug abuser and since I have my own little pharmacy I already have a hard time some times even being able to swallow these pills.

Anyone know if this is legal, can he do this? I believe that already get so angry and frustrated by this is triggering the mild partials seizures I am having today, this it the fourth day in a row now, they were lessening up yesterday, now today are back full force.

Any comments or info greatly appreciated
Thank YOu

Last edited:
I do believe a dr. can ask a patient to take a urine test before prescribing any medications, mainly to protect his own butt, in case the patient is over-medicated or can potentially become toxic. Some of the mixtures of drugs can be life threatening, therefore the doctor doesn't want to be held responsible in case something happens.

And as for the Bi-polar disorder, be careful with some of those drugs used, for some people they cause diabetes. I am one of them that took a drug for Bi-polar disorder and ended up with Type 1 diabetes as an adult! Now I have to take insulin shots 4 times a day along with all my other meds for seizures and other problems.

Back
Top Bottom