questions and venting

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Michelle... I did a quick intro back in April, but haven't posted since. I'm now 44 and have had epilepsy since I was 21~ due to a TBI on left temporal lobe at age 16.

Seizures have always been simple partial until recently. On new years eve I felt a little odd and exhausted. My boyfriend and I went to sleep around 1 AM. He woke me at 5 AM, asking if I was okay, and told me I had a seizure and was shaking head to toe. I refused to believe it~ but when I woke I hurt head to toe, my heart was racing and I had a killer headache for 2 days after.... My simple partial seizures have never completely been under control even with medication and have been increasing for the last several months.

So I know I need to see my neurologist and work with meds... Im just so very saddened and need support from people that truly understand.

THANKS

I'm sending big hugs your way gypsyoflove. I know it's no fun being "blindsided" by your seizures. Hang in there. I hope you can see your neurologist soon and figure out something that will work.

Thanks Nakamova

I'm not pleased with the neurologist I currently see, but today scheduled an appointment with my GP. He's very understanding.... so he'll issue a referral to a new neuro...

Are there any specific questions I should ask? Or anything to keep track of other than seizures?

I would ask about any and all medication options, potential side effects, etc. Also ways to contact the neurologist if you have any additional questions. (It's always a bonus if they are easy to reach, and if they respond to email, even better!)

Many neuros aren't on board with complementary non-med treatments (even established ones), but you could ask whether a dietary approach such as the Modified Atkins Diet might be worth checking into. (See http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...ins_Diet_Can_Cut_Epileptic_Seizures_in_Adults )

Neurofeedback is another treatment that's shown promise, but again your neuro may or may not be interested in having you pursue this. More info here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/eeg-neurofeedback-501/

It can be helpful to track not only seizures, but other health info too -- stuff like sleeping patterns, meals/eating habits, hormones, exercise -- to potentially identify triggers that might be contributing to your seizures. Make note of any medication side effects too.

Back
Top Bottom