Raised the keppra dose now having panic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

horsehead

New
Reaction score
I was on 500 mg of keppra and was told to raise it to 1000mg 2x a day in two weeks. i did and i am having panic attacks, I think, at night. My body feels all tingly and my mind races with lots of images and thoughts. i have to count or do the abc's or something simple to stay somewhat focused.I am taking lexapro for anixiety and panic already.i called the neuro and am waiting for a call back. Has this happened to any of you? It lasted for over an hour for the past few days about 8 hours after I took the meds.If this has happened to you what did you do?

Sorry to hear about your problems with the increase. Of course, everyone is different, but my body could not handle Keppra at all. I was only on it for about two weeks when it resulted in causing continuous hourly partial complex seizures, both awake and in my sleep. I had to be taken off of it immediately. In addition, after my surgery, I was put on Lexapro to deal with anxiety and depression, and it actually had the opposite effect - making the panic attacks worse. After being on it for about 5-6 months, I had to be weaned off, and it took a long time for my body to get over the withdrawal.

Maybe your body will just need some time to adjust to the new level of Keppra, or possibly, it could be too high of a dose for you. You should probably contact your physician and explain what you're experiencing - just to be safe. Good luck!
Josie

Still waiting for a call back ,I'm hoping they will call before I have to take the meds tonight.I dont seem to have any problems with the higher dose during the day though.
Thanks for the reply josieb

I talked with the neuro this morning.He says to keep taking the dose I'm on for now. I can take a xanex if I have anymore panic issues. I didn't have any panic issues last night but i did have a seizure and my husband says i was counting and mumbling afterwards,i dont remember this.I am very out of it today.

Horsehead - Hopefully, you're body will adjust to the increase after a few more days. Sorry to hear about your continued problems. I wish you well and please keep us updated.
Sincerely, Josie

You might want to ask your doctor about the Keppra XR...it's time released to give you the steady amount of Keppra. I just started yesterday..but I am already noticed how I am feeling less overwhelmed with emotions.

Back
Top Bottom