Raising Awareness

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cool beans! Good video! ( I'll have to try watching it again with my earphones. :) Although the kids got a kick seeing me with my ear pressed up against the computer speaker. :) )

Terrible!

Susan refers to Epilepsy as a "disease"! As had been discussed here many times, you CANNOT "catch" Epilepsy or a seizure. A seizure is not a cause, it is an effect or result!

Also, Merideth refers to Epilepsy as an "illness"! I am not "sick", or contagious. Noone standing next to me can catch my "illness". Ohhhhh, those statements burn me up!

The "no spoon in the mouth" stuff was good but they just reinforced the old idea of us being some kind of contagious plague spreaders, or something!:mad:

Terrible!

Susan refers to Epilepsy as a "disease"! As had been discussed here many times, you CANNOT "catch" Epilepsy or a seizure. A seizure is not a cause, it is an effect or result!

Also, Merideth refers to Epilepsy as an "illness"! I am not "sick", or contagious. Noone standing next to me can catch my "illness". Ohhhhh, those statements burn me up!

The "no spoon in the mouth" stuff was good but they just reinforced the old idea of us being some kind of contagious plague spreaders, or something!:mad:

Perhaps not a disease, but I do see it as an illness in Rebecca's case.
I see it as something that needs to be healed, corrected in her system. Something is out of balance.

Not sick as in throwing up, or fever sick though.

Hard sometimes to pick the right words to fit everyone.

Perhaps not a disease, but I do see it as an illness in Rebecca's case.
I see it as something that needs to be healed, corrected in her system. Something is out of balance.

Not sick as in throwing up, or fever sick though.

Hard sometimes to pick the right words to fit everyone.

I agree with Tex on this one! Epilepsy is simply a term which means having seizures. It is not a disease. Seizures, as Robin notes, are a sign of something out of balance, but not a disease in itself. That's why you almost always see my posts referring to "seizure disorders." Calling epilepsy a disease is to create a false sense of what is going on. The label of disease paves the way to marginalizing those of us who have seizures, the kind of thinking that justified forced steriliztion and institutionalization.
Robin, you are very sensitive to words and what pictures of reality they convey. Your daughter may have a disease that causes seizures, but seizures are the symptom, not the disease. This is really tricky to deal with because we respond to the words and what iimage of reality they convey to use individually.

Back
Top Bottom