Re-occur?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

giraffe

New
Reaction score
can epilepsy come back? My doctor said it could, but it hasn't yet...I am 15 now and had epilepsy when I was 6/7.

As it was explained to me, everyone has a seizure threshold. Folks diagnosed with epilepsy just happen to have a seizure threshold that is lower than normal.

Seizure patterns (or perhaps the seizure threshold) can change. I don't know why or how, but I know it has happened with Stacy and others.

I'd characterize your lack of seizures to a successful raising of the threshold. Still, I'd imagine that extreme conditions could cause it to lower again (hormone imbalances such as periods/pregnancy/menopause, sleep deprivation, drugs, etc.).

well...the consultant or whatever you call them, my epilepsy doctor said kinda 'it's gone' but could re-occur in puberty. hmmm. im not on any epilepsy medication

epolepsy

Your doctor is right. Puberty can really mess a lot your system. Keep your thersh hold up make it past puperty age 20 and it probobly will not come backt. The longer you can go with out a seizer the less chance of it coming back so contuinue to keep your self in good shape but don't over do it.
goodluck

ok thanks, yup i'm not thinking its gone. I am keeping an open mind and if it comes back then it does.

I am 15 now...so hopefully it won't come back.

I kinda of want it to in a stupid way, as it felt part of me. I dont know. it's hard to explain. but i dont really want it. :)

dont smoke pot and get drunk at the same time. f*ck the "order"

just dont do it. until later. (never ideally) it's what i'm quite sure lowered my threshold. never had a problem before i tried pot.

Yes, it can - in my case after full 20 years without one single seizure (without AED).

It can, as you have already read, but not always, it is not a rule. In my case it did, but the doctor said it can be back in a 5% people who had epilepsy being a child.
I was 20 when it came back.
Take care.

Back
Top Bottom