Recent DX Question?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was recently DX with Epilepsy by a Neuro but she really didn't explain to much to me about it, so I am wondering is my Neuro the one that I will see about my epilepsy or should they be referring me out?

Two alternatives that I see.

Alternative #1 - Make an appointment with your neurologist and write up a list of questions. If you are happy with the answers, then it seems like you have a winning relationship. If you don't like the answers then you go onto Alternative #2

Alternative #2 - Ask for a second opinion, which many of us have done. The best choice would be one that has a specialty of Epilepsy.

My daughter is seeing her third neurologist. Is it that I like her better? Is it that she has a better vision of the bigger picture? I am not convinced of that. I am more knowledgable now after my two years of researching this and can have a more intelligent conversation about the subject. I have learned to take studies and medical facts to discuss.

I would be called a rebel by many I guess, for my alternative beliefs. I do not follow blindly the pharmaceutical route. Nor do I believe that the doctor knows best. I have found too many that are completely clueless.

Remember knowledge is important, especially when it comes to your health.

That makes alot of sense! I was just thinking about going for another opinion. I just don't know what is going to happen now, I kinda feel like ok, I know what is wrong now, but what is next?

I like my PA and she is the one that I mainly deal with I very rarely even meet with the neuro. So that really got me thinking.

Robin you can tell that your a mother!(thats a good thing)

A change came over me when I watched my daughter have her first seizure. I was the last one to confront a doctor. I always did what I was told. Believed they knew best. I have since learned that isn't always the case. Sure there are some very good doctors working darn hard to make a difference. Unfortunately they are no longer bothered to deal with the headaches the insurance companies put them through.

( I deleted how I really feel about the medical mess we find ourselves in )

I set up an appointment with my Neuro on Friday, she said that I could come in this Thursday and she would go over everything with me but my son turns 1 one Thursday! :woot: So I am going next Monday. She told me to write down questions, she wants me to log every seizure and how long they last and what happened during them. She also wants me to keep a journal of medicines that I am taking and try to put one together of what I have taken in the past. I must say I am finally feeling that we are moving foward! I don't feel stuck and scared.

Wonderful... great feeling I am sure. When you have support you can walk a little easier.

:bday2:

Happy Birthday to your little one. ENJOY the day!!

I like the response from your neurologist. That sounds very pro-active and many of us here would love to have a doctor that is that responsive.

Not to counter Robin's suggestions, but looking at meds for a temporary control can help buy you the time to figure out which of the alternatives may help you. I have had this for 26 years and am just now looking at alternatives. Meds have me under control right now, but I hope to live another 30-40 years and the alternatives are appealing. I just want to move forward with caution. Robin and Bernard are very knowledgable on the alternatives.

:bday:

Thank You for the Birthday wishes! I am very proud and sad at the same time!

I'm very pleased with my doc so far or rather the PA. She has been very helpful!
:agree:
They are very helpful!

I'm so glad that I found this forum

cake.jpg

I agree with everyone's postings below; it takes
time, just be patient! And it helps to keep a diary,
or a journal or a log to keep a monitoring of
everything as well so you know what to gather
and inform to your Neurologist when you see
the Doctor the next time.

Last edited:
Back