Recently had a seizure and im scared

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lickity

New
Reaction score
Im very scared. 2 days ago i woke up after a night of drinking alcohol and lack of sleep, and everything was fine I sat down on my chair with my friends but i kept twitching every few seconds and everyone was laughing and wondering what was wrong with me, i was laughing too but then apparently my hands begin to move and i had a seizure (during which i got up and ran around shouting things) i am 18 and i dont remember anything im hoping that this will never happen to me again. I went to the doctor and they said everything seems fine and i had a CT scan which said everything is normal.
Im just wondering if its possible that this will never happen again and perhaps simply a mixture of lack of sleep, alcohol and anxiety that caused this seziure. I have never had a seizure before this im just here asking for advice and help.

Also, i was at a music festival during this time and its possible that i could have been spiked or something. But i cant think of a moment when i would have got spiked

Hi Lickity,

Anyone can have a one off seizure if their body is under enough stress or they have their drink spiked etc. You don't have to have epilepsy, however if you have more than one, then the doctors start considering a diagnosis.

Chances are you will be fine. Now you know your body can't handle that much alcohol and lack of sleep, just be really careful. I would also advise you be very careful taking any sort of drugs (no judgement or assumptions) it sounds like you could be particularly vulnerable to having a bad reaction. It's like people who get heart palpitations from caffeine, we all react differently.

Do you remember the episode? It could also be a drug induced few moments if you suspect your drink was spiked. Do you remember going to bed that night?

Get lots of sleep, eat well and take it easy for a while. CT scans don't show epilepsy as such, but if the doc suspects anything they would send you for an EEG scan. It sounds like this might just be a one off though. Either way, you'll be fine. Keep us posted =)

My first seizure was sparked by taking a diet pill - no ephedra or anything in it, but a lot of caffeine. I also don't think I was getting a lot of sleep (I was in college... it's part of why I was taking a pill, to keep myself awake). I had never had a seizure before, so doctors attributed that first seizure to the diet pill, as nothing else came up on any tests. I later had some experiences that reminded me of how I felt before that seizure, but mostly ignored them.

Just be watchful and see a doctor if any weird symptoms present themselves again. Like Wobblez said, it's not that uncommon for someone to have a seizure without having epilepsy. I know now that I probably all ready had epilepsy, and the pill (or maybe I would've had a seizure without the pill, who knows) just caused it manifest itself... Later I developed symptoms (auras) without any known type of antagonist (besides maybe a lack of sleep), and after a second seizure years later, I was diagnosed with epilepsy.

Thanks a lot guys you have calmed me a little, no i do not remember anything at all. I remember sitting with my friends and I kept twitching then i must have passed out, i have also been on beta blockers for 2 weeks prior which could have caused it, im going to see my gp on tuesday and ill book a EEG.

And yeah wobblez i remember going to bed although i couldnt sleep for a while. It was a normal drunken night as far as im aware, im pretty depressed atm im worried that this is going to hugely affect my life.

You said a "normal drunken night". What do you mean by that? Do you drink a lot of alcohol or party frequently? If you do, it could be an alcohol withdrawal seizure. I have a nephew who experienced this last fall after partying all night. He ended up in the ER and everything turned out ok with him, except he's an alcoholic. Fortunately, he has not experienced any more seizures.

I know I sound old for saying this but 1, you're not of legal age to drink alcohol, 2, It might be a good idea not to drink if it brings on seizures & 3, it is common for people to have seizures with alcohol withdrawl. 4. You might be having more seizures due to the fact that your meds probably interact with the alcohol. I partied back in the day but the day I went on medications that keep me alive, I never touched another drink, don't want to risk it. That's been 10 years or more. Drinking and anti seizure meds never mix. And going without the meds to drink is a VERY bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom