Reclassification of Seizure Types

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
Just to keep us on all our toes, the powers-that-be have [yet again] reclassified seizure types. The details are here: http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/new-terms-seizure-classification

The main change is that "Seizures will first be classified according to where they start in the brain."

Here's the list. Note the new names for simple and complex partials...
Old Term vs New Terms for Seizures
Absence – Generalized absence
Atonic or drop attack – Focal or generalized atonic
Grand mal – Generalized or unknown onset tonic clonic
Infantile spasms – Focal, generalized, unknown onset epileptic spasms
Myoclonic – Focal or generalized myoclonic
Petit mal – Generalized absence
Tonic clonic – Generalized or unknown onset tonic clonic
Tonic or drop attack – Focal or generalized tonic
Complex partial – Focal impaired awareness
Focal motor – Focal motor aware or impaired awareness
Focal sensory – Focal sensory aware or impaired awareness
Limbic – Focal impaired awareness
Psychomotor – Focal impaired awareness
Simple partial – Focal aware

Interesting how my neurologist knows me and he stays with his definitions as I know them...maybe because he knows removal of a chunk of short term memory affects ones understanding. Knowing there are a good number of us with epileptic life, why I wonder is it they keep changing definition/explanation of seizures???

Guess I better make sure I stay with my neurologist :ponder: or so I think.

Thank you for sharing this. I had seen an infographic somewhere else that looked more like a flow chart or organizational chart, and I had thought simple partials could be sub-classified as forcal motor aware or focal sensory aware depending on whether your characteristics were motor or sensory, I guess based on which you felt first if you felt both (as I sometimes do).

They say it's to give a clearer understanding of one's seizures, but it's a little confusing when you first look at it.

I think it's confusing too. Much easier to say "Complex Partial" than "Focal impaired awareness", even if the latter is a more precise descriptive term.

Feels like some of these naming groups have too much time on their hands. What is more simple than the terms partial and generalized?

Focal or generalized may help with clinical diagnosis, but for the lay person trying to relate to others what they observed... Well, not sure how they are going to be able to determine that distinction.

I think it's confusing too. Much easier to say "Complex Partial" than "Focal impaired awareness", even if the latter is a more precise descriptive term.

:tup:

They always changing things it as Bernard says confusing it confuse me let alone layman.Is it American thing or in uk are we still using the scale most of understand an that hard enough

Back
Top Bottom