Remote pharm using different Keppra generic manufacturers, just lost a client

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LastSteps

New
Reaction score
Just a quick boo, and not related to leftover ghosts. I'd had this issue with pharmacies with different insurance, and now one single pharm has decided to look for the lowest seller as the manufacturer of my meds, one refill at a time.

The stuff I'd gotten for months last year were made by - a white pill which manufacturer's name I've apparently thrown away. Before that, I think was on stuff made by Lupin - I think a light brown color. No major out-of-ordinary side effects from these, just a bit of sleepness I've been able to overcome with a good exercise routine. But it seemed like generics were workable, and not much different than brand name.

Last week I started a refill with a yellow pill, made by Teva, and I had symptoms of a mini-seizure after one day on it - the "brain freeze" and the tasty iron flavor out of nowhere, and hazy mind for a few days afterword. Kind of went back to normal, but yesterday I had another head haze I had to fight off during the business day. Such fun. And off and on, I've had to fight off the haze from coming back in my head, even today.

So anyways, with good results on generics, even changing manufacturers, then swapping to Teva, I'm now on brand name Keppra, 500kg 2x/day, simply because this one manufacturer. According to my doc, I just need more all of a sudden..I still don't understand why some of docs think they know better about my symptom details than I do.

So if anybody notices worse symptoms (or less beneficial results) with the Teva manufacturer...I'll give an update if I can get back on Lupin manufactured generic with my initial pharmacy. Teva's got to be the problem, with no problems on the other 3 manufacturers...ugh, science.

I can't seem to keep track of manufacturers, but I can say that I spent a month on a distinctly yellow pill (levetiracetam). It was a mess - frequent seizures, memory problems, horrible mood swings, etc. My pharmacy switched me back the next month and all was well. I've had a few different generics that didn't seem any different to me, but the yellow pills were no good for me.

Yeah, a good chance that was the same one. The others were still beige coloring or white. Take a look at your pills & they'll mark the "Mgr" somewhere near your pharmacist's name. That Teva was obvious to me...this is 36 hours after my last take of Teva, and I'm already noticing I don't have to fight to not take a nap after work today. Come to think of it, that's been an issue for a week or two.

So with Teva, I guess I noticed every side effect almost immediately. Horrible!

That is why I am staying on the Brand Keppra made by UCB.;-)

Back
Top Bottom