Results from blood work

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

1nation

New
Reaction score
This is the first time my daughter has had her blood work done since on keppra. The results may be common when taking these meds but it shows that her carbon dioxide level is about 5 pts low. Also her level of keppra is about 50 pts over the within range numbers. A few others were a point or so low. Is this anything to be concerend about? I would have called her neuro to ask but his office was closed today and he has not seen the results yet. Thanks in advance

CO2 levels in the blood tend to fluctuate depending on what one is doing. I wouldn't be too worried about those.

The Keppra, I have no idea. Since starting Keppra, I've never had its levels blood tested... my neurologist never said it was needed nor have they ever contacted me about it, or mentioned it at my appointments... On other meds I've had to have it monitored, but not on Keppra.

With Keppra, "therapeutic blood levels have not been established. Dosage adjustments should depend on clinical response." Which basically means whatever works, works. The range is just a suggestion, and folks can achieve seizure control with doses on either side of that range. If, however, you are feeling side effects from the Keppra, and think there's a chance you could maintain seizure control on a lower dose, then it could be worth discussing a decrease with your neuro.

Back
Top Bottom