Saw someone having a seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I have epilepsy but I've never seen anyone have a seizure.

For fathers day we ate at my parents house on the back deck. After we were done eating I asked my sister in law, who has epilepsy, if she was done eating because I wanted to take her plate.

I asked her again because I thought she didn't hear me. I asked her a few more times but she didn't say anything, she was just sitting at the table looking out into the back yard. I said her name a few times then I realized she was having a seizure. Her lips were just slightly smacking and she was staring off into space.

My brother was standing behind her and I told him that I thought she was having a seizure. About a minute later she came out of it, no clue she had it.

It was very interesting, if that's the right way to word it, to see someone have a seizure and what I probably look like when I have one.

I've never seen anyone have a seizure before but my mom has a video of me having a tonic clonic. I've never seen the video and I have no desire to see it.

That must've been very confusing to witness, valeriedl.

I have seen students at school have seizures. One time the school nurse didn't believe me and a few days later the student went into a tonic clonic seizure and the nurse wasn't in the building so they came and got me, the student was fine and was sent to the hospital. After that the nurse started to listen to me. Wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

aggravated me, someone had a grand mal once in a cooking area near me and hit her head on the counter top and started bleeding on the floor, and was covered in flour.

everyone was stuck in there phone, and had to put her in a recovery position and start giving orders had to tell one person to call 911. one person to get the address. and one person to wrangle people back and clear a path for emt's .

I manage to last just long enough to go outside and before having a seizure myself

I have a friend in my home town who also has epilepsy, we both go to the same epilepsy clinic. Sometimes she catches the same bus I get to go to work.

A couple of weeks ago I was on the bus on the way to work and I saw her at the bus stop acting odd, the bus driver asked if she was getting on and she said ‘no not me’. Straight away I knew something wasnt right. I was worried about her so glad when she messaged me that afternoon. She asked me if I was on the bus that morning as she had a seizure and didn’t remember anything. I was able to fill her in on what I saw.
We caught up for coffee the other day and she said she was glad I was on the bus as she didn’t remember anything.

I said that was the 1st seizure I’d ever witnessed but straight away I knew something wasn’t right and felt it might’ve been having seizure as she was acting the way people have described me act with my partials.

Last edited:
I used to do volunteer work for the local Epilepsy Foundation. One time while helping with a golf tournament, one of the golfer's son went into several complex partial's that day. The father had asked me to keep a watch on him, just to make sure he didn't fall. He didn't. Another time, on a walk for the Epilepsy Foundation, I witnessed a young girl have a TC seizure. So, so sad.
I have also seen a person have a CP in the waiting room of my epileptologist. When his seizure started, they called the dr. out right away and took the patient out of sight.
And this is the one that really makes me angry, not the seizure, but what a person witnessing the same thing I witnessed had the arrogance to say. We were at a Barnes and Noble book store and a young man stood up to search for a book. As soon as he turned the corner he fell and started shaking. I recognized that he was having a seizure and went over to help, along with the store manager. By that time, the young man was already out of the seizure and able to stand. The manager helped him back to the men's restroom.So I went back to where I was seated and started reading my book. But the woman seated across from me said to me, "I wonder what drugs that boy has been taking." I asked her why would she say such a thing and her reply was, "that you never know what kids do nowadays." I just wanted to slap her. But instead, I gathered my things and left.
People sometimes disgust me!

Back
Top Bottom