See it in the eyes?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kare

New
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new here and I have a quick question:

Twice now, I have seen a look on my son's face and in his eyes that made me think to myself 'he is going to have a seizure tonight'. And sure enough, he did both times!

Other mothers might be able to relate when I say 'you know how you always know when your child is sick because you see it on their face, sometimes even before THEY know they are sick'? Well, it's something like that: His pupils contract and his irises seem to get lines in them, as if they are pointing to the pupils. Also, he looks 'far away', and though all seems normal and he is conversing as usual, something in the expression in his eyes is not normal. Does anyone else experience this?

Yeah, I can sometimes see it in my partner before. He just looks different... tired, pale, colder to the touch. It's in the whole body though, not just the eyes.

I've been told that my face looks less emotional or communicative -- kind of "shut down" -- in the hours before a seizure has occurred. So I think you're instincts are spot on.

While in college- and even now, my interpreters have always been able to tell when a seizure would happen. It would be maybe 10min before anything happens. My eyes would have the "distant" look and I don't really interact as much, or show much emotion.
My roommate sees me looking strange or even "making a face" before I have a complex partial seizure.
Sometimes I don't notice anything- but sometimes I can feel my face tensing up a little- but I dont know how long it is before the seizure starts up. Sometimes I don't get much of a warning but always get one- if that makes sense.
I think as a seizure starts up, our pupils become smaller or change somehow since our brain function is altered or starting to change.

I have Nystagmus- uncontrolled muscle movements in my eyes which is a neurological condition I was born with. My brain is trying to find light or more of it. I am not totally blind, but low vision and because of this- my Nystagmus acts up when it becomes darker outside our in the house- but in total darkness it gets better- dont know why.
But during a seizure- my Nystagmus slows down or sometimes stops which is weird to me. I don't feel it or are aware of it during the seizure- but my roommate looks into my eyes to see if I've "left" or have been "taken away" by a seizure.
I don't always walk around- or sit up or show that a seizure has started since I get an aura and sometimes cannot tell anyone. Sometimes I am talking and all of a sudden stop and my face changes or the muscles in my face become weak.

Take care,
Crystal and her guide Umbro

Back
Top Bottom