Seizure Triggers

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

well...don't know much about hynosis...but my understanding is that it is mind control by someone else...whilst seizures are...well...brains out of control -- overcharging if you will. That's why too much stimulation can trigger a seizure.

Jon just had a seizure a few minutes ago, but once again, while watching TV -- but it was Elmo, for goodness sake -- not a lot of bright flashy lights or loud noise! Other than a little TV this afternoon, he's had a quiet day at home -- reading books, listening to music, working with Mom on letters and numbers, and playing a little indoor basketball -- nothing very stimulating.

About 30 minutes before his seizure his was making this "fish movement" with his mouth -- opening and closing == have seen him doing that several times recently.

Just read a study by Packard Hospital that hypnosis could be used to CAUSE seizure like events in children -- but EEG showed they weren't true seizures.

Can eggplant trigger seizures??? Jon had eggplant for lunch today, and I've noticed he's had seizures in past after eating eggplant.

I've wondered if I might be under some sort of hypnosis - causing PNES type seizures. I've always had a hard time accepting that I have seizures, or what they are. Giving me a lot of fear about reality, what is reality. For a while I even thought I might be in a coma due to a seizure and that all of ~this~ isn't reality at all and that it's some kind of hypnotic state brought on to mediate the coma state.

When you think of it, seizure triggers and hypnosis are similar, both have certain things that would trigger certain behavior. So it makes me wonder if hypnosis would work to alleviate seizures. Just a thought.

Can eggplant trigger seizures??? Jon had eggplant for lunch today, and I've noticed he's had seizures in past after eating eggplant.
I've never heard of eggplant triggering seizures, but triggers do seem to take all sorts of forms. Does Jon have any food allergies or sensitivities? Particularly to foods like potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers? Along with eggplant, those foods are all members of the nightshade family, which can sometimes cause or exacerbate inflammation. You might also want to take a close look at other clues, such as how soon after eating the seizures occur, and what other foods/drinks are consumed with the eggplant.

Thanks Nakamova -- my husband and I decided to keep a diary of Jon's foods to see if there's a link between them and seizures. He does have some allergies to other things -- like to ant bites and Lamictal. And recently, he's been rubbing his nose a lot, which makes me wonder if it's itchy or something. I did find a report from one Mom who discovered that removing nightshade foods from her baby's diet (he was breastfed so reacting to what Mom was eating, along with his own food) completely cured him from seizures.

He's on the Ketogenic diet, so doesn't get a lot of foods like wheat that are common allergens, but he does eat peppers and tomatoes and egglplant, and we've noticed that he often gets diarrhea after eating them. I thought the diarrhea was because of the roughage, but now wondering if it is because of an intolerance.

It would be wonderful if we could just eliminate a few more foods and have an end to seizures.

Absolutely no sugar in his diet (ketogenic diet for siezures). Hardly any processed food in his diet -- all meals are prepared from scratch with fresh, organic fruits and veggies.

I have started keeping a log of the foods he eats, and have 2 other columns for seizure activity and also allergy or food intolerance symptoms -- such as hives, itchy nose, and diarrhea. We're going to see if this reveals anything.

I'm thinking there might be something to this nightshade thing -- in the past (before being on the ketogenic diet and allowed to eat noodles) he always got diarrhea after eating sphagetti (our recipe includes not only tomatoes but lots of green peppers). At one point we thought it was the tomato, and then we thought it might be the wheat noodles and be a celiac thing (he grew up in Asia, so mostly ate rice, except about once a week we'd have sphagetti). But he got tested for celiac before starting the ketogenic diet, and that came back negative. So...now...wondering about the tomato and green peppers -- along with the eggplant.

I need to get on one but not that strict.good luck I have heard mix results with it hope for the best

Ever since my stupid brain infection every thing bothers me.Loud music,blinking lights,comuter lights, loud voices. I lorazepam for myoclonic seizures, so if I go out to a party or the park I keep a lorazepam with me, That way I can catch it before I go down.

Well, actually eggplant, green peppers, and tomatoes are common foods, but potatoes not so common.

But we have decided to avoid the nightshade foods, and also keep a food diary alongside his seizure log to see if we see some links.

I don't think the nightshade foods are actually causing the seizures, but my theory is that if he has a mild allergy, it might be stressing his body enough to lower his seizure threshold.

Though common now, the majority of nightshade plants (except eggplant) are New World imports to both Europe and Asia. So for some folks there can be a genetic sensitivity.

But I agree, it's more likely to be a mild allergy, or perhaps a sensitivity to the stimulating effects of the tiny amounts of nicotine found in nightshade foods.

i work at a fast-food restaurant, most often in the drive thru.
I've found that a common trigger has something to do with seeing repetitive movements.
When the car pulls around to the window, to pay for their purchase, the window opens.
If the window slides open at the same time as the car drives forward . . . it seems to 'short circuit' my brain. It only once has resulted in a tonic-clonic, but it consistently causes simple partials.

Is this weird?

I know one Mom whose son only has seizures when school is in session -- never during summer or Christmas holidays. He's in a small, quiet classroom, so shouldn't be too stressed. We're thinking it must be something like what you mentioned -- repetitive movement or maybe he's focusing in on some lines somewhere or something.

Aside from stress and sleep I recently discovered hunger to be a huge trigger.

It explains why I would always have a lot of SPs before dinner. I take my pills around the same time so I always though my med levels were to low. I now carry food around with me where ever I go.

I'm guessing your blood sugar is affecting your seizures -- there's a strong relationship. Carrying food with you is good -- try not to go more than 2 or 3 hours without eating, and make sure your between meal snack isn't too high in sugar or simple carbs.

Have you had your blood glucose levels checked? Our son's nutritionist said a lot of seizures can be eliminated without going on a really strict diet (like the ketogenic diet, which our son is on) by simply cutting out sugar and simple carbs (white bread, white rice, etc.)

Has anyone had seizures triggered by changings in altitude or changes in air pressure?

In May we were traveling through Montana, so going up and down mountains, and that seemed to trigger a couple seizures (at that point in time, he was only having about 1 seizure every 3 or 4 weeks).

Also, the other day, he has a very rare afternoon seizure (usually noctural seizures) as an afternoon storm was rolling in -- the temperature went from 100 to about 75, and I'm sure air pressure changed -- although Jon was inside in air conditioning.

Back
Top Bottom