seizures and anxiety

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sylvia

New
Reaction score
I used to wake up with seizures every morning. Now with the increase in my Lamictal I do not have them. I do have them if I have any anxiety. Even though I am on Klonopin also. If I have anxiety I have a seizure. The only difference is the seizure is shorter.
Does anyone else have the same problem. And if so, what have you found to help.
thanks
Sylvia

Hi Sylvia --

Is there a chance that the anxiety is part of the seizure? A lot of the symptoms of anxiety are similar to those of partial seizures -- a sense of dread or nausea, increased heart rate, dizziness, etc.

If you think the anxiety is separate from the seizure itself, try and focus on ways to reduce your stress levels. It's different for every person, but here are some suggestions: schedule brief periods of meditation or physical relaxation throughout the day, listen to soothing music, engage in regular exercise or hobbies, plan daily "check-ins" with friends or family where you talk about normal stuff (not anxiety), consider getting a pet... It also might help to talk to a therapist from time to time to vent and get relaxation tips and tricks.

When I feel stressed, I like to listen to a half-hour long recording of falling water (it sounds like a babbling brook). And there are few other pieces of "background music" that work for me too. You could experiment to see what sounds/music feel "right" to you, and then make a mix CD to listen to a few times a day, including first thing in the morning.

The book "Epilepsy: A New Approach" has some good suggestions as well: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f40/epilepsy-new-approach-7189/

I do have the nausea, dizziness, sense of dread and the problem talking and walking. The increased heart rate too. I like classical music. I also like sitting on my front porch listening to the birds sing and the frogs crocking. I love the view there.
The last time it happened, I was driving into my son's driveway and a big coil from under my car came off and ripped my front tire to pieces. A big loud band and everyone came running. I instantly felt the feeling in my head when I know I am getting a seizure. My eyes hurt. Before that happened something someone said hurt my feelings and I was thinking about that. the two things were too much.
It also has happened when I get excited. Like when my granddaughter was coming to visit me.
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I will look at the book.

Hi Sylvia --

Is there a chance that the anxiety is part of the seizure? A lot of the symptoms of anxiety are similar to those of partial seizures -- a sense of dread or nausea, increased heart rate, dizziness, etc.

Nakamova, is that true?

I've always thought my constant worrying was the cause of those moments where my stomach drops, I get dizzy, have a headache and get goosebumps, scared for no reason and terrified.......

You mean a 'partial seizure', you could retain consciousness? Not even be aware you're having a seizure?

Constant worrying is probably not a seizure. But if at specific moments you experience a sequence of some or all of the symptoms mentioned above (unexplained feeling of dread, odd stomach sensations or nausea, increased breathing and heart rate, dizziness), you may well be having a simple partial seizure. (Simple partials are the ones in which you remain fully conscious and alert).

I went to the doctor yesterday. I told him I am still having partial seizures even after the increase in the Lamictal. he said he might have to add another med. I told him I have the seizures when I sleep and I have seizures when anxious. I told him the ones caused by anxiety are shorter. when I wake up with one it lasts between four and five hours. he said that is called "Todd's Paralysis" I told him with the ones from anxiety I don't want to be so drugged up I can't function. Like increasing my Klonopin. Right now I feel like I should just stay home. He did order a blood test and will have the results next week.

Unfortunately there can be a lot of trial and error with the meds. I hope you and your doc figure out something that works. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom