Seizures and asthma meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mlbandura

New
Reaction score
My son is four years old and just recently started having seizures. He was diagnosed with asthma on Oct 28th 2007. It is allergy and cold induced so he only has to take treaments when it posses a threat. In march he started coughing badly so the doctor had him do his xopenex treatment 3 times daily. She also started him on Flovent HFA inhaler, which he had never been on in the past, twice daily. That was on March Fri 12th. On Fri March 26th (night) I went to his room and he was in bed eyes open.. completely out of it. His hands were balled into fists and he were next to his mouth. I thought he was having asthma related problems so I took him to the living room after he relaxed his hands and body( about 1 minute). He was completely out of it. We took him straight to the ER not knowing what was going on. The discharged him with abdominal pain. He did not remember even putting his PJ's on before bed or going to the er. He woke up Sat night and said his head felt funny like the last time and layed back down. I took him to his pediatrician Monday and explained what happened. She has him going to see a neurologist. He has waardenburg syndrome type 1 and in some cases seizures are known.. but not many. He also has a cousin with epilepsy (only one in the family). She wanted to take precautions just incase. We ended back in the ER on March 31st wed. I found him awake lying in bed confused, he said he could not see, he was dizzy and his right arm was limp. he also vomited. I called 911 and he went to the ER. They did a CT scan and nothing tumer wise showed. He had 2, what the doctor called abesente seizures while there. He again did not remeber the ambulance ride or some of the er visit. Thursay he had another absentee seizure in the afternoon. Im sure he had more but they are hard to catch. On Friday, Saturday and Sunday night he straight up in the bed stared into into space unresponsive and then layed back down and slept (we have been sleeping with him since the last er trip) Since the beggining i had this gut instinct that it had to do with the flovent but was told no.. no problems with that. the docs said.. waardenburg and cousin with E is the cause.. I stopped the flovent myself. Last dosage was Monday morning and he did fine Monday night and last night. Could the Flovent have caused the seizures? Anyone experience this? I have looked online and the only thing I could find is one case causing something called complex partial seizures. We do not see the neurologist until May 12th and I am just at a loss. I have so many questions and no answers. Not to mention I am averging about 4 hours of sleep a night now. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Flovent isn't recommended for children under 4 years old, so your son's right at the cut-off for dosing, and possibly sensitive to its side effects. Perhaps it exacerbated his existing Waardenburg syndrome, or triggered other metabolic changes.

The link below mentions vision changes among other possible severe side effects of Flovent in children:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/flovent-side-effects.html

The link below is a patient feedback site for Flovent. While seizures aren't mentioned, many of the respondents do list immediate, dramatic changes in their children's moods and behavior after taking Flovent.

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20548&name=FLOVENT

There are a lot of indications that asthma can be controlled by the elimination of dairy.
.... and there are seizures that occur due to sensitivity to casein. Here is hoping this information might help your son.

Back
Top Bottom