Are seizures contagious?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I know some of you have seen me mention my dogs in my previous posts. They are my constant companions durring an episode. Well this morning my 8year old Jack Russell mix had a seizure. I am devastated. The worst part is everything I have seen on line for this seems to point tumor. Sometimes I think life can be a little rough...

I hope your dog feels better soon. I know what it's like to have a seizure.

This also applies to animals too - not just humans.
I wanted to make an emphasis on this, because
people often misread the original posting and
thinking otherwise. YES, animals can have seizures
the same way humans can have seizures as well.

Paradise, I am so sorry to hear about your dog. However, vets can treat seizures in dogs too. Usually with medicine. As for seizures being contagious, no they aren't.

Hi Paradise

Sorry to hear about your dog, our pets are part of the family so I can understand how hard it is to see a pet get sick. I'm sure with the right treatment & care from your vet your dog will be able to live a happy life.

I used to have a dog Jake that lived with my parents & their dog Lilly. In August 2004 my parents notcied Jake was going to the toilet alot, drinking alot of water & had lost alot of weight. They told me & we agreed that they should take him to the vets. Jake was diagnosed with diabetes, and we were told that he would need insulin twice aday (in the morning & at night). He lost his sight in early 2005 but it didn't worry him & he found his way around. My parents dog Lilly decided to take it upon herself to be Jakes 'guide dog' & assisted him helping him out if he wandered of. Jake had to have regular check ups & weigh ins but continued to live a happy life & got spoilt. Unfortunaly late June last year both we noticed Jake was going downhill, unable to control his bladder & drinking water alot more. We spoke to the vets & they said it was best that we get him put down instead of letting him suffer anymore. It was hard for me to have Jake put down but I always told my parents that I would never let him suffer. We were lucky to have Jake for 11 years & we had such wonderful vets who cared for him while he had the diabetes. Before Jake got sick I didn't even think dogs could get diabetes but I learnt animals can get the same illnesses as humans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom