Seizures in the heart

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

SevenC

New
Reaction score
My latest doctors appt has been to see a cardiologist since many of my seizures have resembled strokes, to the point where one I had in March left my left side numb for months and has permanently affected my ability to read, talk, spell etc.

When I got there the nurse was kinda confused why I was there about seizures. They tend to only see older people in that clinic. I told her I was at my wits end. I'm having seizures and passing out constantly and all of my EEGS are fine. I had TWO eegs last month. Both normal. This is so frustrating! So I let her know up front. " I am not trying to get on disability. My husband makes too much money. I do not qualify. Please help me. I do not want to die." Because down here, no one will help people with tricky health issues. It has to be cut and dry or they just send you home.

So they check me out. I have a heart ultra sound/sonogram, then I do a stress test ECG and another ultra sound/ sonogram immediately following that.

The doctor tells me my heart is perfect. Muscles are perfect, he can tell I work out, no build up, my heart rate was perfect and then even more perfect when I got done working out. Which is wonderful! but I'm left with no answers again.

Then he mentions to me that you can have seizures in your heart or that your heart can cause seizure like symptoms. I had never heard of this. He mentioned something about having me tested on a tilt table as well. He also mentioned evaluating my equilibrium. I found a link that I don't think I can post as a newer member, but this was of interest to me.

*************"To decide if you would benefit from a cardiovascular evaluation see if you can answer yes to any of the following questions:

1. Have you experienced repeated seizure-like episodes over time?

2. Are you getting treatment for your seizures, but the treatment is not helping?

3. Are you or your doctor uncertain you have epilepsy?

If you answered yes to any of these questions I would consider requesting an evaluation by a cardiologist. At that time they will do extensive questioning into your seizure episodes and also perform additional testing. Such testing include: Tilt table test: This procedure creates conditions that may cause syncope. The test is performed in a hospital testing room with the patient connected to monitoring equipment such as an ECG machine. The person is positioned on a table, and the table is tilted by varying degrees. The test enables a physician to measure how blood pressure, heart rate, and heart rhythm respond to changes in body position. Some centers undertake tilt testing in conjuction with a drug challenge, which may make fainting more likely."*************

I answered yes to all of those questions.

So now I will be wearing a cadio monitor for 7 days and I will be seeing a doctor to be placed on a tilt table. :rock:

Has anyone else been tested for this or have any advice for me? stories? etc.

I do think that changes in blood pressure can play a role in seizures -- some of my tonic-clonics seemed to occur when I stood up suddenly or when I out my hands above my head and had pressure on the carotid artery (as in when giving a kid a ride on my shoulders).

From what I've read, "neurocardiogenic syncope" or "convulsive syncope" can definitely overlap with seizures in terms of the symptoms. Three cases are talked about here: http://www.medsci.org/v06p0296.htm Several studies suggest that quite a few people with cardiac cases are misdiagnosed with epilepsy -- and that the tilt-table test you mention should be standard to rule out cardiac factors.

I hope the tilt-table test provides some clear answers -- let us know how everything goes.

Back
Top Bottom