Seizures and Memory Loss... HELP!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I recently had my VNS surgery and its been doing great. Well, I felt a seizure coming on so I went to get my magnet, but too late. I passed out and hit my head on the fridge. After it was over I was fine, but my head hurt a lot, so I went into another one (BTW does anyone else have that happen to them? Have a seizure after extreme pain? anyways...). After I came from that one, I was very confused about where I was, who my husband was, ect. So my caretaker and my grandma came into the room. They didn't think it was a concussion so they just started to talk to me and reminded me of people. Showed my pictures, told funny stories, ect. Finally after about 2 hrs. I was back to normal! Has this ever happen to anyone? I still feel foggy, but I know pretty much everything, just tired from having two seizures in one day I guess. I have an appt. with my neurologyst next week, but I was just needing support and i knew where to go after I could remeber my password. lol Help please.

Oh, Texasmommy,

What a hard day you have had. Does your head still hurt?

I haven't had that happen, but I can sympathize with the confusion. I only have simple partials, but sometimes when I come out of it I don't know where I am or who I'm with. Mine only lasts a few minutes, though. It must be so scary for you.

I can help with your log in. Next time you sign on to the forum, check the little box that says remember me. If your computer is set to allow cookies the forum will remember you and just let you in without your username or password. Very handy and good for those of us with memory issues.

Please be careful, and feel better soon.

Hi Texas,

Sorry you had such a bad seizure. I hope your VNS will work better in the future.

I also have the VNS and it usually works to stop the TC, but back in 2005 I did experience a seizure very similar to what you describe. I had a TC, hit my head on the wall, my daughter found me and said it was a wonder I didn't break my neck from they way I was laying. Anyway, when I finally regained consciousness, I found myself lying on my bed and didn't remember how I got there, didn't recognize my own bedroom, my own daughter, my husband, or remember my own name for several hours. I also ended up with my glasses broken and a big black eye.

Try to keep your magnet with you at all times, in your pocket or use the wrist band that comes with it, maybe that will help.

I sure hope that doesn't happen again and feel better soon.

Hi Texas, hope you feel better soon. Last time I had a seizure and hit my head I was extra foggy, and it took me much longer than usual to get my bearings. Turns out I was quite dehydrated -- so you might want to make sure you're getting enough water.

don't feel bad i'm about as dumb as a box of rocks i'm lucky if i know what day of the week it is.
or what i did an hour ago.
i was'nt this dumb before all this happened.
maybe i played with too much mercury when I was a kid, i can't remember.
yeah it's pretty depressing.

Hi, ian.

Most of the drugs gave me some pretty bad brain-fuzz, too. It was like someone scooped out my brain and stuffed a bunch of cotton in there. Seizures do that to me, too. So lots of us are with you on that. Doesn't make it feel any better for you, though.

I used to play with mercury when I was a kid. Whenever a thermometer broke my mom would give me the mercury to play with. Afterwards I wouldn't even wash my hands. Probably went straight to lunch. Ahhhh, how we've progressed as a society.

Good to know I'm in good company!

Hi can i just ask about this magnet I hear you mention. I ask because you stated that you could sense the seizure coming. I always hear voices in my head just prior to having a fit. I try to ignore them and before you know it I am having my seizure. Its horrible. Its horrible because you know you are going to have a fit and there is nothing you can do about it you don't even have enough time to call someone for help or to let them know.

Hi Texas,

I don't have the VNS, but I totally understand your memory problems. I've been married over 27 years, raised a son (now 25), but I have few memories of all those years. Two weeks ago, my son mentioned a blue jeep we used to have. Now obviously we must have had that jeep for a couple of years, but I don't remember it at all. He said I always liked it, saying the engine purred like my cat. It turns out that I've been having complex partial seizures all these years & never knew it. I forget all kinds of things - how to get home or get to a friends house, how to fold laundry, how to use appliances, how to get into the shower, even walking into my own house & not knowing where I am. It used to scare me the first few years when it happened, but now I just relax because I know that eventually I will remember what I am doing or where I am or who I am with (although sometimes I never remember a person & have to ask my husband who that was after they have gone). But for the most part, my adult life is a blank. I don't have a lot of memories about my son growing up or things we have done as a family. And that is very depressing. But I can't do anything about it.

I used to pass out with the seizures, but it has been a while since that happened (I think). And I always feel exhausted afterward. At this point I have complex partials, simple partials (sensory & psychic), myoclonic & tonic. I'm on a new med, Vimpat, which seems to be helping the myoclonic & tonic. The best thing to do is try to stay calm & don't force yourself to remember - it only takes longer to remember. I hope you have more memories of your life than I have of mine. I feel so left out when others talk about past events & I have no idea what they are talking about. Hang in there!

Shelia

Back
Top Bottom