Are seizures more prevalent during a particular time of year?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
I know everyone is different, and I dont really believe this for myself, but I've heard some people claim that different times of year affect them in some way.

Anyone know if there is anything to this? If so, what is it that would make a person more susceptible to seizures during a particular time of year? Temps, Barometric pressure, full moon?

Or is it not relevant?

Dignan

I believe there could be something in that, for me its thunder that is worst.

Winter was always my worst time before I moved to the tropics. I think it had to do with Vitamin D deficiency. It's also easier to find excuses not to exercise in the wintertime. That doesn't help. And then comes the holidays with all the booze, sugar, etc. that we shouldn't be eating.

The study found here http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/25297476 was conducted in a limited population in a residential home, so it might not hold true across the board for other folks with epilepsy, and it doesn't take into account seasonal stressors such as the ones mentioned by AlohaBird. That said, the results suggest that time of day (circadian rhythms) is a factor, but other ones not so much:

The 16 residents who were studied presented 855 epileptic attacks, including 159 in peaks or clusters, over the period 2009-2012. The predominance of seizures observed in autumn and during the fourth quarter of the year is not significant (p > 0.05). There is no statistically significant relation between the presence of epileptic seizures and the phases of the moon or days of the week. Most epileptic seizures (87.2%) occur during the daytime (p < 0.001). Findings showed that 36.3% occur in the morning between 08:00 and 10:59. There is no statistical correlation between the number of epileptic seizures and the atmospheric pressure, rainfall, degree of humidity or mean temperature (p > 0.05).

CONCLUSIONS: The appearance of peaks or clustering of epileptic seizures was observed. Their presence shows a marked circadian component. The influence of meteorological factors, the phases of the moon and seasons of the year on epilepsy is not significant.

The spring and summer use to be worst time for me because of the heat&humitity.But it's been years since I've had a problem with the heat&humidity.

Not relevant for me. My seizures happen a.m., p.m., spring, summer, fall, winter. For me, it's a hormone.

This is me too. I've never noticed weather temperature having anything to do with my seizures. I've never noticed my hormones reacting in any way though.

Body temperature may however. There was a time I when I was so hot, I was walking around in the in the middle of the summer in the city on black pavement wearing black long pants and a black shirt, the sweat was just pouring off of me and I had a seizure. This was the only time that anything like that happening to me that I know of and it was because I was overly hot. Just being hot in general, even if I am sweating, doesn't bother.

The only time that I do notice I have more seizures is in the winter when the holidays are. And I know that is only due to the stress of Christmas and getting ready for it, not the weather.

Last edited:
I know that if my sleeping environment is too hot, I am at risk for a seizure. I'm not sure if it is only the temperature or some combination of temp and ventilation that makes open windows a must for me.

Back
Top Bottom