Seizures and the phase of the moon

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sounds to me like we need to destroy the moon!! I will need help though. Is anybody with me?

Well remember Marvin Martian? He wanted
to destroy the EARTH because it was blocking
the view of the Sun?

LOL!

marvin_martian.jpg

An old wives tale, and utter tripe, there is no medical proof of a connection between the moon and seizures, in Medieval days, there were connections, but thankfully, we've come a long way since those days! I have written a book about my experiences with epilepsy, and I have dedicated a chapter to some of the old myths and legends surrounding this oh so misunderstood condition. Allow me to quote;

" It was thought that the moon played a large part in causing, and aggravating many illnesses, amongst which was epilepsy.The notion of "Full Moon Madness" probably relates back to ancient beliefs surrounding the causes of epilepsy.If offending the Goddess of the moon was one way of aquiring The Sacred Disease, then it was also believed that attacks would appear or get worse with the coming of a full moon, and diminish with a waning moon. It was also believed that objects thought to be influenced by the moon could be used to "expose or out an epileptic". Touching an epileptic with jet or carystian stone (which was probably asbestos) was believed to immediately bring on a seizure in one who had The Sacred Disease."

It was also believed way back, by the Greek physician, anatomist, philosopher and writer, who lived six centuries before Hippocrates Claudius Galen 130-203 AD.

I am pleased to say, that we have come such a long way from all this total and utter cobblers!!! Hope that helps! I also would like to say, that the word epileptic does not come into my personal vocabulary.

Cheers

Elaine

Here's an October 13, 2008 Article by PubMed on Epilepsy Behavior (Lunar)

Moonstruck? The effect of the lunar cycle on seizures. - by PubMED (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)

Moonstruck? The effect of the lunar cycle on seizures.
Baxendale S, Fisher J.

Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy, Institute of Neurology UCL, Queen Square, London, UK.

Recent reports on the effects of the lunar cycle on seizure occurrence have yielded mixed results. If the moon phase is influential, we hypothesized that this would be due to the moon's contribution to nocturnal illumination, rather than its waxing or waning state, and that significant correlations would not be apparent if local cloud cover were controlled for. We found a significant negative correlation between the mean number of seizures and the fraction of the moon illuminated by the sun (rho=-0.09, P<0.05) in 1571 seizures recorded in a dedicated epilepsy inpatient unit over 341 days. This correlation disappeared when we controlled for the local clarity of the night sky, suggesting that it is the brightness of the night and the contribution the moon phase makes to nocturnal luminance, rather than the moon phase phase per se, that may influence the occurrence of epileptic seizures.

PMID: 18602495 [PubMed - in process]

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmm

Methinks the connection with LUNAR and LUNATIC makes sense here. I'm writing this book to explode these myths! Do you know, that epilepsy was grounds for divorce in certain countries up until as recent as the 1960's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've certainly never made any connection with my somewhat erratic seizures, and the earth's satellite wihich is 238,900 miles away!! I am so into astronomy and have a telescope, but I can honestly say that in this the 21st Century, I haven't read about or heard about any recent connection to epilepsy, thank God!! I will ask Professor Duncan next time I'm at Queens Square.

Cheers

E x

Well it kind of reminds me of all the kids in my sons special needs class. All at the same time of every year they all act up and are uncontrollable.

Giant Over-sized Nightlight?

:ponder:

Nightlight effect?

But come to think of it this is really weird, the more I read
the article; and the more I looked into my HISTORY -
with increased seizures during Aug/Sept ---> Feb/Mar,
my area is more prone to have more Stars & Moon &
Planet exposures during these times of the year than
during the other times (due to Thunderstorms, Clouds,
etc - because of the Tropics) and it is also our "Dry
Time" months typically so the air is crisp and clear and
indeed the moon is brighter...

Think of it as a "Giant over-sized Night Light".

:ponder:

We did a lot of our Astronomical (Star Gazing) during
these months as well when we had our telescope because
it was just about the only time when we had any clarity!
(Whether the Moon was there or not)

This ought to be an interesting study, I'd like to know what
their "Finalized" conclusions come to being as you can read,
it is "in process"....

Just when you thought it was safe ....

Hmmmmmmmm

Methinks the connection with LUNAR and LUNATIC makes sense here. I'm writing this book to explode these myths! Do you know, that epilepsy was grounds for divorce in certain countries up until as recent as the 1960's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've certainly never made any connection with my somewhat erratic seizures, and the earth's satellite wihich is 238,900 miles away!! I am so into astronomy and have a telescope, but I can honestly say that in this the 21st Century, I haven't read about or heard about any recent connection to epilepsy, thank God!! I will ask Professor Duncan next time I'm at Queens Square.

Cheers

E x

Elaine:

If you did a major research - you will find that the
Earth's majority of the population resides in the
Northern half of the Earth's Hemisphere, more so than
the Southern half!

So in the Fall - Winter, there is a rise of such, and there's
been medical documentations pertaining to this. However,
Those residing along the EQUATOR remains stabled - from
what I have read and found.

Then I did see a report (I lost the link) but I had to *smirk*
at it when it remarked that "Northern" hemispheric people suffer
more epileptic spells than those of the "Southern" hemispheric
people.

I had the urge to smack those Scientists silly! For if that individual
had did some simple research he would have KNOWN that majority
of the population RESIDES from the Equator and NORTH of it!

:zacepi:

Every time I read that article - I *groaned*, I do not believe
"Geography" was their best subject!

I tried to do a research to retrieve that abstract article, but it
could have been "pulled". But I did find it humorous.

-------------------------

PS: There was another article that was solely independent, but
the link is no longer working - but their conclusion was that Epilepsy
was more prevalent among the Northern Hemisphere because of the
"clockwise motion" of the atmospheric conditions, and likened
it to as flushing a toilet. And it was less so than to the Southern Hemi-
sphere due to the "counter-clockwise motion" due to the versatility
just as if you flushed the toilet there will go the opposite direction.
I know the writer who wrote this article was from I believe Liverpool
(?) but I thought the article was so funny that it had me literally
cracking up to pieces where I was peeing in my pants!

Me thinketh he spent too much time on the toilet!

:roflmao:

If the link was still there - I would have quoted it and pasted the
link and every one of you would have fallen off your chairs laughing!
I wouldn't have had a problem quoting it! Hilarious to boot!

I think that is true. We live in Seattle. North West. epi centers. Hospitals everywhere. The wheather. I can not spell today. alskdjfsdjfsdjfkldfskldjfd. for depression. everything. You can see everybodys moods change accordingly. It's wierd.

I think that is true. We live in Seattle. North West. epi centers. Hospitals everywhere. The wheather. I can not spell today. alskdjfsdjfsdjfkldfskldjfd. for depression. everything. You can see everybodys moods change accordingly. It's wierd.

Absolutely Correct.

As my Primary stated, it's called S.A.D.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (Wiki)

It's when the Northern Hemisphere receives less
Sun, and people are prone to more medical problems
during this time span - not just depression. Medical
Science are taking another look at S.A.D now.

While Wiki does have the best description (though
limited) and does provide you the "light box" description
in there - there's a lot of information (HEY ELAINE - Note
That!) that can be found in there.

R.A.D (is called Reversed Affective Disorder) which is
the opposite of S.A.D. - for those individuals who have
problems just the opposite and are "Sun Sensitive".

Sheesh.... this is a classical example of the abuse of statistics. What we have here is called an ecological survey. Firstly , to prove anything worthwhile you need a prospective case control study. First you would be required to prove that an association exists by comparing cases ( people with epilepsy) and controls ( "normal" people who live in the same area , eat the same food and are exposed to the same environment as the people in the case group). THEN , you need to carefully monitor the study with third persons ( double blinds) to prevent you paying extra attention to the case group and interpreting findings as you see fit for at least a year , since the trigger in this case happens only once a month. It is a long and arduous process. Today with poor stats , i can prove eating reese's peanut butter cups (yum!) can lead to an increase in seizure frequency. You need to be careful about the sample selection. This is "science" at its shoddiest.

Dr,

If you ever do a study involving seizures and Reese's peanut butter cups, count me in!!! Actually anything involving chocolate.:woot:

It has been interesting to read all the comments. I guess we all have triggers for seizures. I have heard strobe lights can set off a seizure. When we have a fire drill, at work, they send me outside so I am not subjected to a seizure. The only thing I have noticed about being around a stobe light is it will give me a huge headache. But they are erring on the side of caution which I appreciate.

Sandee

Can the Reese Pieces ...

Who wants to be "Death By Chocolate" cake
Volunteers?

:mrt:

Take another look at absurdity to boot!

Dr,

If you ever do a study involving seizures and Reese's peanut butter cups, count me in!!! Actually anything involving chocolate.:woot:

It has been interesting to read all the comments.

But they are erring on the side of caution which I appreciate.

Sandee

Sandee - As the Doc says, and I remarked - and the
best way to sum it up, is drumming up summaries without
any "Based Upon What?" conclusive findings!

I could write up a long article as WHY the nail fell on the
floor, and then drum up some asinine article that it will
trigger Reflex Seizures - on "Startle Epilepsy", with all
this yadda, yadda, yadda ... just to make it sound and look
so good with all the mathematical realms galore, but what
does it prove? Absolutely nothing!

Honestly, some of them are "Hilarious to boot!" if you read
up on some of them!

PS: There was a US Government Grant awarded for a research
Study on Ketchup (or Catsup - to those who spells it that way),
between various brands - of who was thicker, faster, watery,
etc - HEY I could have done that, that would have been easy
money in my pocket there ... all I'd need would be a stop watch,
some bottles of specific brands of Ketchups and Store Brands.
And do it 4 times of the year (Autumn (Fall), Winter, Spring,
and Summer) - and after a 1 year study - I can then provide my
summary and conclusions and findings as simple as that!

:zacepi:

Take me please, by chocolate!If only I could afford it right now. Or even get to the store in this rain!

All I am going to say right now and I am sorry it is a change of subject(but a good change) I had tons of chocolate today.Oh thank you Lord.I'm gonna have some more! See Ya!

We've moved from the moon to chocolate. That's one small step for man .... one.. giant leap for my mouth. (yum yum ):wave:

Good thing the moon isn't made of chocolate. There would be nothing left of it!!!:roflmao:

It's all to do with the position of the moon and Uranus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read it as you like, but I'm trying to see the funny side of things as usual, life is too short to be serious eh?!

Love you all!

Elaine xx

Back
Top Bottom