Seizures or side effects or anxiety?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

munchy

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone else has had anything like this?

About 6 months ago I switched from tegretol to keppra which was great for a few weeks but then I started having SP's every 2 weeks but also I was getting dizzy spells too. I mentioned this to my (different from normal) neuro who decided to put the keppra up to 2000mg which I thought was odd as I thought the dizziness was a side effect of the keppra and that it would just get worse.

Well I've been titrating up to 2000mg for about 6 weeks now, I'm currently on 1750mg. The dizziness went away for about 4 weeks but the seizures have stayed the same. Now the dizziness is back and I hate it, it only lasts about a minute at a time but I feel like I'm going to pass out all over the place. To be honest I'm not even sure dizziness is the right word for it, My head suddenly feels strange and foggy and I feel faint. I nearly sat down in the shop the other day because I thought I was going to fall down!

I have an appointment with my GP in about 10 days, but I'm not sure she'll know what it is., my next Neuro appointment isn't until may so I've got a bit of a wait for that too.

I really want to know what is going on, I thought it must be a side effect since it started about the time I started keppra, but it comes and goes and only lasts a minute or two just like a seizure. Though I don't think that is what it is. I'm starting to wonder if it's anxiety related as I'm terrified of passing out or having a TC infront of people (I passed out once infront of a friend and was so embarrased I couldn't look at him for days!) (quick edit, don't know why I'd be worried about having a TC as I've never had one before, I've only ever had SP's)

Has anyone else had anything like this? Sorry for going on, I'm just confused and probably making an issue out of nothing (as usual) but could just do with some advice from people who know what they're talking about!

Munchy xx

Last edited:
Hi Munchy --

I recommend that you write down when the foggy feeling first started, when and how often it happens, what time(s) during the day, how long it lasts. Also when you've eaten, when you've taken your Keppra dose. That way you can get a sense of if it is really an anxiety symptom (I vote no) and your GP can get a sense of what you're experiencing, and help advise you as to whether to contact your neurologist ahead of time to reevaluate your dose/med. I experience dizziness as a side effect of Lamictal, but it's not a foggy feeling, so my take is that you having a breakthrough seizure sensation, something I experienced when I was on a med that gave me low blood sugar.

Back
Top Bottom